Headliner clip strip?

conkitchen

SO; like a good friend with skills, able to perform a headliner install, I agreed to do so.  The car gets dropped off.  I start in on taking apart the front glass and low and behold. Never seen this type of clip strip used before.  They even drilled little holes into the pinch weld for rivets to secure in place.  Why they even used it at the bottom edge of the glass up against the dash.  

What's odd is that the headliner was actually OEM pattern material.  It was painted over but look closely and you can see the strip in question.  

The shit people do.  

My only guess is the window was replaced in the past by an outfit that used this type of strip to secure the rubber seal. No other reason makes sense.   

But what do I know 

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

Edited by conkitchen

For what its worth, I found the same metal stripes on my car when I started the deconstruct. Mine were held in place by a tiny phillip head screws. I know my windshield had never been touched since leaving the motherland, so it seems another fine example of German over engineering.

edit: as an aside the stripe was installed post paint.

Edited by joysterm

6 minutes ago, joysterm said:

For what its worth, I found the same metal stripes on my car when I started the deconstruct. Mine were held in place by a tiny phillip head screws. I know my windshield had never been touched since leaving the motherland, so it seems another fine example of German over engineering.

Good to know, I may use them to actually hold the headliner in at the top and omit them on the sides and bottom.  

Come to think, I wonder if this application could solve the corner "seating" issue with the new rubber especially from URO.  Hmmmmmmm? 

Edited by conkitchen

1 hour ago, joysterm said:

I was under the impression these were designed more to secure the headliner rather than the rubber seal.  I’d would urge you to use OEM in any case.

There are/were smaller individual "clips" as seen below used on other cars I have seen. What's on this car is a linier length of metal. Might be hard to see in the picture since they are attached and painted the body color.  

a20792913d28da2e288c63_m__09777.1417459315.500.659.jpg?c=2

Edited by conkitchen

10 hours ago, conkitchen said:

There are/were smaller individual "clips" as seen below used on other cars I have seen. What's on this car is a linier length of metal. Might be hard to see in the picture since they are attached and painted the body color.  

Have not seen those used for that before....interesting.  It looks the car was resprayed with them on place.  Mine were bare metal, installed after the car came off the paint line. I know I have the old pieces lying around  somewhere, I'll try to dig up.

So, in 72 or so the DOT required windshields stay in place during an accident. These strips were riveted onto the pinch to provide a bit of grip for the gasket. The rubber windshield gasket was also changed to accommodate the added thickness of the strips. If you used an early gasket the strips would show after install. For the most part we just chiseled off the rivets and removed the strips! Never had any negative issues. They have nothing to do with retention of the headliner.

Edited by artbo
Addition
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, artbo said:

They have nothing to do with retention of the headliner.

That's kinda what I thought since having it on the bottom edge of the front frame has nothing to do with the headliner.  

I have removed them. 

However: I may use a small section in the corners to "puff" out the rubber. To solve that shrinking look that the new rubber seals do once the glass is in.   

but what do I know.