Fuel neck and flange fitment issue

north1602

Greetings from Calgary

I am unable to secure the fuel neck to the body because the inside diameter of the securing ring and the outside diameter of the filler neck are the same (just under 90mm).  My guess is that the fuel neck rubber has simply shrunk over 53 years.  Options?  

- purchase a new filler neck

- heat up the fuel neck and try to stretch the opening, if that is even possible.  

Thanks!

71D1B860-0008-432D-862E-30CCFD11C064.jpeg

7DA5E1FE-120D-4570-B211-593B5934AE29.jpeg

Hold on... are there new parts involved?  There are 2 distinct configurations of fillers that dont really play well together.

They each also require a specific style of fuel tank.

It looks like you have an early style boot stuck on a later style securing ring.

Wrong boot (filler neck)

CE7C902F-CC84-4CD1-BE38-68DAA54C5719.png

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

Because there's a metal ring shown in the photo, that is the newer style system as shown in the diagram on the right.  The metal ring is part # 12 in the diagram.   Your fuel tank should have a metal filler neck with a turn in it near the top.  The rubber neck part is much smaller than the older style.  But it has the same problem with aging.  Teeny Tiny cracks, often on the underside will let the sweet odor of petroleum fill your trunk when the rubber gets older and stiffens up.  If the rubber part is not totally flexible, time to replace it for safety's sake.  16111105714 is the part number.

Yes,  I have the old style filler neck and early gas tank with the short, vertical tube on top.  I spent $300 getting the tank cleaned, resealed and painted and it is now installed.     

I clearly need the early style flange that utilizes the hose clamp to secure the filler neck. 

You guys have been great, thanks!

That metal ring and all the other parts shown in the right-side diagram are not used with the early style filler- only the larger rubber part and two appropriately sized hose clamps, top and bottom.  This assumes an early right rear fender with the built in filler flange and fuel cap holding stuff.  The key to being able to use the old style rubber part is that build in flange on the inside of the fender

If your car's right side rear fender was replaced with a later fender that does not have those parts built in, uh ohhh...

You can use a newer style gas tank that has a longer neck with the older fender and older rubber part (as on my '68 currently), but the new style fender and rubber parts would leave a gap between the rubber and tank that was not meant to be.

This sounds like your situation- The function of #10 is built into the old style fender and the three circular parts shown in your added photo are not used with the old fender.  You'd only need a hose clamp for both ends of the old style rubber part (#1 and $3). The solution using official 2002 parts without fender replacement or major surgery is to get a newer gas tank and the shorter rubber part (#14).  The unofficial solution would involve some steel tubing and several additional clamps and fuel proof rubber tubing to fill that gap, IF it's even possible given the short gap.  Or, welding an additional length of steel tubing with a turn in on the top of the gas tank (INSERT ALL USUAL SAFETY STATEMENTS HERE ABOUT EXPLODING GAS TANKS due to remaining fuel fumes and welding !!!)

Edited by calw

16 hours ago, calw said:

The solution using official 2002 parts without fender replacement or major surgery is to get a newer gas tank and the shorter rubber part (#14).

Does the shorter rubber part (#14) slip on the flange on the inside of the quarter panel (older car) without modification?  Is it secured by the upper and lower hose clamps?  Does the 51L newer style gas tank have the same mounting hole positions as the old style 46L gas tank?  During my efforts to refurbish the gas tank in my 1970 BMW 1600's 46L (old style) gas tank, I found it full of pin holes so am looking for all options for replacement.

Mark92131

Here's a picture of the old style gas tank flange.

IMG_3366.JPG

There is no interchangeability of parts. With the old style flange on the inside of the fender, you need the gas tank with the short neck (or a newer tank that you cut the neck down on), the longer rubber filler boot and 2 hose clamps. If you have the later fender, you need the tank with the longer, bent filler neck, the short flanged rubber boot and the two clamping rings. 

You are correct:   I have a later style replacement fender but an early style gas tank and filler neck.  When I dismantled the car seven years ago, I just wasn’t paying attention to some of these nuances.    So I will have to locate a newer style gas tank and filler neck. (And I will have a nicely refurbished older tank for sale) 

FA21ED61-1872-4349-89D9-6D5F974D09B6.jpeg

0C2B25AD-E51E-4933-96A1-DA0F59584DC3.jpeg

58851F25-20D6-4BBC-A97B-009C57298A68.jpeg

7AD219E8-F36E-4169-8200-D79CC2348AF9.jpeg

Edited by north1602

8 minutes ago, north1602 said:

You are correct:   I have a later style replacement fender but an early style gas tank and filler neck.  When I dismantled the car seven years ago, I just wasn’t paying attention to some of these nuances.    So I will have to locate a newer style gas tank and filler neck. (And I will have a nicely refurbished older tank for sale) 

Yep, you got it!