U-joint rubbing exhaust

Dave919

I hope this is coherent.  I have searched the forum but there are a lot of posts on exhausts and on drive-shafts, but the one I found that has this exact scenario did not post what how the issue was resolved, so thank you for your patience!

Recently the car developed a metallic/rubbing noise that I thought was coming from the rear.  Today I put the car on the Quickjack and put the car in gear. The sound was actually coning from the center of the car and it appears that the u-joint is rubbing the center section of the exhaust but not all the time! I can see some shiny marks on the outermost parts of the U-joint which are at the widest part of the center section.  

Other relevant notes:

- I installed a Sebring exhaust early this year. No issues with the install and have driven hundreds of mile since, including round trip to the Vintage.

- The drive shaft, CSB and U-joints appear to all be in good shape. No excessive play.  Seems to spin true when in gear.

I will first attempt to see if I can adjust how low the exhaust hangs. I am guessing I don't need much additional clearance. 

Are there other things I should be looking at that might not reveal themselves by watching the drive shaft turn while in gear, pushing/pulling the driveshaft to assess integrity of U-joint and CSB, etc?

Thank you!

The rear section of the exhaust may have rotated a bit this can raise the center section, it can be a bitch to get the sections to stay in the correct orientation with each other when new. I've started to add just the dashiest dash of a spot weld when everything is aligned right and tested, other wise get the clamp real tight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The rear section of the exhaust may have rotated a bit this can raise the center section, it can be a bitch to get the sections to stay in the correct orientation with each other when new. I've started to add just the dashiest dash of a spot weld when everything is aligned right and tested, other wise get the clamp real tight.

I'll start with this (and get some pics while under there in case it doesn't resolve it). 

1 hour ago, tzei said:

How are your tranny & engine rubber mounts?

Also check the exhaust mount that protrudes from the tranny's tailshaft.  It contains a couple of small rubber mounts that, like the rear tranny mount, turn to black goo over the years, and will thus provide unwanted movement in your exhaust.  Also make sure both muffler hangers have their rubber loops and the plastic spacers in place.  

mike

• Like 1

Update! It’s not the exhaust.

It is something in the transmission, so I’m preparing to change the fluid and reading posts on the forum.  It’s become a little difficult getting into gears and there is some play in the gear shift. When I wiggle it around the frequency of the noise - which is not exactly a grinding sound and not exactly a ringing sound - modulates or goes away altogether.  

oh how I wish I had a real lift and was mechanically inclined (not necessarily in that order).  I probably need to find a garage in the Raleigh-Durham area that is knowledgeable about these cars…

I have 6 jack stands....

Try lifting the shifter.  Then (gently) pushing it down.

It's not uncommon for the thing to droop down far enough to touch

the driveshaft.

This is especially true of the early version, which is adjustable, and also has a rubber

bushing in the arm that sets its height.

As to difficult shifting, make sure the clutch hydraulics are in good shape...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave919 said:

Update! It’s not the exhaust.

It is something in the transmission, so I’m preparing to change the fluid and reading posts on the forum.  It’s become a little difficult getting into gears and there is some play in the gear shift. When I wiggle it around the frequency of the noise - which is not exactly a grinding sound and not exactly a ringing sound - modulates or goes away altogether.  

oh how I wish I had a real lift and was mechanically inclined (not necessarily in that order).  I probably need to find a garage in the Raleigh-Durham area that is knowledgeable about these cars…

When I read your first post my first thought was a drooping shifter bracket. 

The rest of my thoughts were trying to figure out how your exhaust could get anywhere near a U joint !

That is why I asked for a picture. 

It’s probably just the shifter rubbing like Toby said. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Realize I did not close the loop.

When I finally got under the car one of the shifter mount's bolts had backed nearly all the way out!  The whole thing was sagging significantly, but  I was able to tighten it up (a pain with the exhaust and driveshaft in place). Once it was good and tight the issue was resolved.

Thanks all for the advice. This site is so helpful!

Edited by Dave919
  • Like 4