• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil dripping below 123ignition

Far2002
Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

Question for the 123 folks.  Has this "design flaw" been corrected in the more recent productions of the 123, or is this something you have to ask for after the fact?  I was thinking about trying one of these 123 out and would like to know.  Thanks,

John

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Question for the 123 folks.  Has this "design flaw" been corrected in the more recent productions of the 123, or is this something you have to ask for after the fact?  I was thinking about trying one of these 123 out and would like to know.  Thanks,

John

I should RTFM or RTFWS read the f'in web site before opening my big mouth.  In looking at the 123 US web site, I can see that you can add-on the special reverse screw shaft for an additional $70 when ordering one now.  Thanks folks,

John

Edited by JohnS

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)

The oil incursion doesn't happen to everyone, so I guess they chose to leave it as is. If you happen to be one of the people that this happens to under warranty, then I assume they'll fix it. We've been running a 123 in our race cars for a while now. After a year or so of track time, mine started to show up in the cap. I sent it to 123US and he took care of it (grooved), by me agreeing to be a test mule- this was early in the 123's existence. The problem never came back, and even for the price quoted on the site, it's well worth it (to me anyway).

Exactly the same for me it happen after 16 months. So that means it is a bad design. For 500 bucks it shouldn’t happen…

the amount of oil depends on how you drive the car. I mean if you have a stock car and you drive normaly it should be fine. But if you have a modified Engine and a spirited drive it will happen ?

Do you have an oil pressure gauge installed?  I recently added one and shared some pressure readings and Toby pointed out that my oil pressure relief valve is sticking.  The pressure goes up over 100 psi if I rev it over 3-4K before the oil gets fully warmed up.  Apparently it is a common problem on these engines.

The gauge also confirmed that the oil takes four times longer to come to temperature than the coolant.  I should have added that gauge years ago.

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

I chose a VDO mechanical oil pressure gauge p/n 150-030. This has a 270-degree needle sweep over a 0-100 psi range.

Picture attached shows a brass connector block to retain the factory "idiot-light" pressure switch.

Careful installation and routing of the oil line is critical to leak-free long life. I fed the tubing through the firewall inside a larger stiffer tube to allow gradual bends and plenty of sliding room for engine movement. 

I installed my gauge during the first year of ownership, and it has worked flawlessly for 46 years and 142k miles. 

John

1087711661_GaugesandRadio.thumb.jpg.45545d3d7fa89e92157add743abf82a0.jpg

1202387861_OilPressureBlock.thumb.jpg.3c1d3384968c73c1a021e57b63df015c.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vairter said:

mintgrun-

Can you share the particulars of your pressure gauge setup?  The sender, the location, the readout,...

Gladly.  Here's a post I made last week, when I set it up.

The numbers on my gauge also go up to 100 psi, but it's spun well past that when I revved it a bit with cold oil.  (It's teaching me to be more careful about that).  The reason I posted this here is because I'm wondering if people who have had trouble with 123 getting oily might also have an oil pressure-relief valve problem.  

Tom

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, JohnS said:

I can see that you can add-on the special reverse screw shaft for an additional $70 when ordering one now.  Thanks folks,

Correcting a product line defect by offering the fix as an expensive option..Clever, and somewhat predatory business model.

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 9/2/2022 at 12:46 PM, Far2002 said:

I think oil passing trough inside the dizzy.. living in France it won’t be Easy to send it

Shouldn't be hard, from what I remember when I got/ordered mine and spoke to them is they are based out of the Netherlands, no?  Definitely European, and there's a German website/supplier/servicer too.