Mysterious exhaust and shifter hacks

robmck

I finally got our '76 up on jack stands for the first time since we bought it and had a look around. 

I noticed something hanging down just behind the transmission (a Getrag 5-speed the previous owner had put in). Looking up, I discovered that the PO had wedged a rag up above what looks like the shifter shaft:

20220827_141700.thumb.jpg.182b241f554cb75e65a16b7007ba6df8.jpg

That square cross section bar that parallels the drive shaft, and the L-section bar that meets do not appeared to be anchored to anything aft of the transmission. They're floppy with about an inch of play at the tail end. 

I'm guessing this isn't the standard install. What should be going on here?

Exploring further, I looked along the exhaust pipe as we sometimes get a strong whiff of exhaust while driving. I didn't see any visible holes, except for a quarter-sized hole about 3 inches from the very end. However, I did see the following technique for (I'm guessing) getting a slightly bigger mid-pipe to fit the other pipes. There's a nail wedge in each end of it:

20220827_141203_HDR.thumb.jpg.469e72c94a13aa0ca5dae074e0d233bc.jpg

Is this a common thing? Might this cause our exhaust aroma? 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That rag may be a solution to the uninsulated + and - reverse switch connectors hitting each other and turning the backup lights on, or it could be to compensate for some disintegration of the foam donut on top of the shift platform that isolates the shifter from the top of the tunnel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robmck said:

That square cross section bar that parallels the drive shaft, and the L-section bar that meets do not appeared to be anchored to anything aft of the transmission.

That's the way the factory did it.  And there is a certain amount of floppiness at the after end of the shift mount, but you should check the metalastic mounting bushings thorough which the bolts pass which fasten shift mount to transmission.  The rubber in those bushings turns into black goo over the years and should b replaced when that happens.  Bet yours are original!  They can be swapped out without dropping the driveshaft, but it's a bit fiddly.  Check archives/articles on the how-to.  But at least check the allen head bolts for tightness.  

mike

IS your exhaust that bad?    Are there any holes or rust causing a split or hole?   The nail in there looks like it is stopping the exterior heat shield around the center piece from buzzing due to the fact that the welds holding it on are broken or loose, this doesn't mean that that center piece needs replacement     We use to use a larger exhaust clamp that would go completely around the heat shield and tighten it up so the heat shield was tight against the actual ex pipe.        Make sure that your exhaust end pipe actually exits just past the rear bumper, if not , ex gases accumulate at the back, get into the trunk and eventually work their way to the passenger compartment    The hole at the end of the pipe , I would think, was someones way to get rid of the H2O that exhaust produces before it comes out the end of the tail pipe ?????     

Everyone is right about the gearbox leaks, I would guess that anything rubber back there is probably contaminated now with gear oil and require replacement.

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robmck said:

That square cross section bar that parallels the drive shaft, and the L-section bar that meets do not appeared to be anchored to anything aft of the transmission.

they are not supposed to be anchored back there, the play is probably a result of worn fwd mounts and /or bushing in the fwd end of the platform support (l section bar)

The foam donut thats supposed to be where that rag is also helps firm up the entire shifter assembly.

Buy or fabricate one and get that rag out of there before it ends up wrapped around your driveshaft.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! Looks like the pressing issues are:

1) Inspect the rubber bushings / mounts to see if there is any rubber left. (Per Mike, Son of Marty, and tech71). While I'm there, keep an eye out for reverse contacts (per PaulyG)

2) Figure out what all the leaking is (Son of Marty). The transmission is wet front to back. There's a chronic oil leak around the #4 spark plug. I'd just assumed that the wet I could see on the front of the transmission was just oil from this leak. But, now that I can get underneath, I can't imagine that getting all the way to the guibo. So, more is going on. Any tips? (besides dropping the transmission).

I guess I could try to clean everything off, go for a nice long drive, then see what it looks like.

3) Exhaust: check how far back the tail pipe extends beyond the car (per Rick). I'm sure it doesn't reach past the '76 diving board, but I'm pretty sure it makes it past the body; will look again. Other than that, there's no holes (except the one about 6 inches from the end). 

Thanks all!

Rob