sprusin' up the seats

vroom

Greetings!!  I'm back looking for suggestions re my recently purchased '76 2002.  First, much obliged for your past help.  After a year I've finally got the car running real good and most everything working as it should.  Absolutely a kick in the butt on two-lane-twisties here in the mountains.  As we're all aware, it ain't fast, but it sure FEELS FAST!!  Responding as it has to TLC, the car deserves a little cosmetic attention (NEVER to be fully restored, nice original).  The padding is gone in the seats, the buckets don't support, and the upholstery is dry and cracked and split at the seams in a few places.  I've checked around with professional upholsterers and have only recently recovered from passing out at their e$timate$.  TRYING to be retired in a recession here.  What do you suggest?  My thought is some kind of relatively inexpensive form-fit "covers" that I can install and stuff a little padding underneath?  Recommendations for a supplier's web site, especially those offering a catalog (I still love paging through a catalog), would be much appreciated.  The same is true for any ideas you might pass along.  Thanks,  Rick in Pinedale, AZ       

DSC00178.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

• Like 1

I shopped around for good aftermarket stuff. I settled on these.  They are not to bad to install.   I have E30 sport seats and a stock rear seat.  

Get a good set of hog ring pliers, don't get the ones that have a clip like a stapler,  great idea, but the tool bends and makes it pretty much useless. 

__32155.1580439997.500.750.jpg?c=2
WWW.LSEAT.COM

1968-1976 BMW E10 2002 Front leather seats cover are manufactured using superior cow leather. These seats are primarily used as replacements for the factory seats cover. If you are looking to replace new seats cover on your car, then you will need to remove the old cover first. The...

As usual, I much appreciate the input.  The more I drive my bimmer, the more I appreciate its toughness and originality.  I am soooooo offended by costs in general lately, especially upholstery, that back pain is my red badge of courage as I rest my left elbow at the bottom of the open window and stir up new modified exhaust sounds with my right hand.  The Ultimate Driving Machine.  Lseat.com will eventually get my attention, and limited funds, and I thank you for that, but until then I'm on the opposite end of the yardstick from you Recaro guys.  After 46 years, starting, running and stopping are all the exhilaration I need from my 2002.  Good then.  Great now - even sittin' on a milk crate.       

On 8/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Dudeland said:

Get a good set of hog ring pliers

__32155.1580439997.500.750.jpg?c=2
WWW.LSEAT.COM

1968-1976 BMW E10 2002 Front leather seats cover are manufactured using superior cow leather. These seats are primarily used as replacements for the factory seats cover. If you are looking to replace new seats cover on your car, then you will need to remove the old cover first. The...

i've bought 4 sets of covers from l-seats, they are fast and good...

a tip i found easier than hog rings...small zip ties for me are easier and a heck of a lot cheaper...i've never had a failure and i have some 15 year old seats in one car using zip ties on the seat upholstery

1 hour ago, esty said:

i've bought 4 sets of covers from l-seats, they are fast and good...

a tip i found easier than hog rings...small zip ties for me are easier and a heck of a lot cheaper...i've never had a failure and i have some 15 year old seats in one car using zip ties on the seat upholstery

That is funny.  I was working on the front seats and thought that zip ties may be easier.  I have to pad out the middle sections before securing them.  I will give the zip ties a try and document my results.