which brake shoes

autokunst

One of the rear wheel cylinders recently blew out and leaked brake fluid sufficiently onto the shoes.  I am replacing the cylinders, and would like to replace the shoes as well.  The two options I am finding are the BMW Jurid shoes (part number 34211159580) which are sold EACH (per shoe), bringing the order total to around $160.  Or I have read about people liking the shoes from Porterfield, R4-S.  The whole set of (4) is $70.  Is this too good a value?  Any advice, experiences, and input welcome.  Thank you. 

I think you need to rearrange your perspective a bit.

$160 is borderline insane (assuming you’re correct on it being per shoe, and that the ebrake lever is incorporated), the pricing reflects an out-of-alignment pricing algorithm and not a value judgement.  

$70 is still decently high for brake shoes, but much more inline with reality for a quality set.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

$160 is borderline insane (assuming you’re correct on it being per shoe,

Agree - insane.  I called the supplier and they said "I've never seen brake shoes sold in anything but pairs... Oh, I see this is a classic car, yes it appears they are sold each".  Still not certain of anything other than that is crazy expensive.

19 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

and that the ebrake lever is incorporated)

I doubt it.  Is this something I need to look for?  I assumed this order is just for "shoes".

17 minutes ago, slowbert said:

Bluntech has a set for $70.

Thank you for the link.  Unfortunately, those are for a later 2002 at 230mm.  I need to 200mm iteration that was in the earlier 1600-2, 1600ti's, and 2002s.  I should have mentioned that my 1600-2 is a 1968.  I can't find the 200mm on Bluntech's website.  I admit I have trouble navigating that website...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

Small bit of proactive advice, confirm that they are 200mm's.... they are a bit of an odd-duck. (coming from an ex-supplier's perspective, I'd sell 20 sets of 230's to 1 set of 200's)

Confirmed - measured them yesterday.  I think that was the standard rear drums on all '67 through '69 cars (all models, 1600-2, 1600ti, 2002).  I am sure I have the exact dates wrong, but perhaps there were just fewer of the early cars relative to the larger quantities of later cars?  Thanks!

Glad you brought it up.  It prompted me to check in with Porterfield to make sure they are sending the correct diameter/arc shoes.

Edited by autokunst

42 minutes ago, autokunst said:

Interesting.  As measured empirically?  Or based on a new/worn drum?

The goal is for a precise fit! ?

The arc of the recent shoes I’ve seen is larger than the drums (even used ones) so that the shoes only contact on the tips of the shoe. Sometimes it holds the shoes far enough “in” that you cannot adjust them to not drag. 

The fix is to sand the shoes to allow more complete contact with the drum. 

Hopefully yours are different. 

5 minutes ago, Lorin said:

Hopefully yours are different. 

I'll let you know once received.  Porterfield just got back to me and acknowledged the 200mm shoe size (arc diameter).  But they need to be "made up" which will take 5 to 7 business days.  I have developed a list of "while I am in there" projects - I guess I just found more time to work on those.  

3 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The best fix IMO is to take them to a brake shop and have them bend them to fit, There are several brake shops in the Milwaukie area.

We don't know that I will need "a fix" just yet.  Lorin was just sharing his experience with some 230mm shoes.  Let's hope I don't need to find a local brake shop and ask them to  bend my brand new brake shoes - ha ha.  But I'll keep that idea in my hip pocket just in case.  You never know when it will come in handy.