Wheels

Morgan

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

what’s the consensus on staggering wheel sizes on a 2002?  I’m thinking about running 175/65/15 on the front and 185/65/15 on the rear. Wheels are 6” mini light style. I’m looking at Continental TRUE CONTACTS

Both are way too large in diameter. Why not 195/50/15 square setup? 

True contact seems to be all-season tire and not available that pretty common size. I'd suggest looking for something else.

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

what’s the consensus on staggering wheel sizes on a 2002?  I’m thinking about running 175/65/15 on the front and 185/65/15 on the rear. Wheels are 6” mini light style. I’m looking at Continental TRUE CONTACTS

Your car’s original tires, 165/80R13, had an overall outside diameter of 23.2” (perhaps 23.4”, depending on your reference source). A 185/65R15 would have an overall outside diameter of 24.5”. That additional 1.3” (or 1.1”) matters in terms of fitment!

If you’re not driving your car in snow — for which you should mount true snow tires (Alpine symbol) — go for summer, not “all-season” tires.

Regards,

Steve

i"

Thanks so much for the info. I am currently running Kumho 195/50/15 on the front and 205/50/15 on the rear. I was hoping to ease some of the steering by going to a smaller tire. And still keep my 6 inch mini lights. Will definitely go for a summer tire. Any advice on 185/55/15 or 185/60/15 all around?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks so much for the info. I am currently running Kumho 195/50/15 on the front and 205/50/15 on the rear. I was hoping to ease some of the steering by going to a smaller tire. And still keep my 6 inch mini lights. Will definitely go for a summer tire. Any advice on 185/55/15 or 185/60/15 all around?

What steering wheel are you running? If you have a smaller Momo steering wheel, then going back to factory will make a big difference in the ease of steering at slower speeds. 

6 hours ago, Gordon said:

What size steering wheel do you have? A small steering wheel makes low speed steering a bitch. Other option is to start weight lifting. ?

And to manage expectations, even with the original 165/80HR13 XAS’s and the factory steering wheel, parallel parking an ‘02 can be a bitch, if somewhat less of a bitch than with fat tires and a small wheel… ?

I have a restored 1961 Ford F-350 pickup. Manual steering. 19.5” rims. Enormous Michelins. Much easier to turn at driveway speeds than an ‘02 with stock rims and tires. What’s up with that? ?

Regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

14 turns lock- to lock, I'd imagine!

heh

t

more likely the Ford has a much lower scrub radius. 

The struts on a 2002 swing

the tires in a rather large arc...

Not a lot of turns, Toby,

So I’m going with your “lower scrub radius” theory. How low is it? That truck’s scrub radius is so low it’s a negative number… ?

That’s my new story and I’m stickin’ to it!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Not a lot of turns, Toby,

So I’m going with your “lower scrub radius” theory. How low is it? That truck’s scrub radius is so low it’s a negative number… ?

That’s my new story and I’m stickin’ to it!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Because you're a manly man when you drive that!

:D

• Haha 1