• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help finding an E30 M3 project before the dream is gone

skylund

Edit: Found one! Thanks everyone!

Can anyone help me find an e30 m3 driver/shell that my daily classifieds searches won't? Any project (even incomplete) without structural rust would be considered if price is doable. $50k is probably my max for something complete.

Long story short, I've saved most of my adult life to buy my childhood dream car, but as it became everyone else's dream car (or investment property), the prices have skyrocketed (like, $30k for a rusted partial shell). You can get a better performing car for $50k, but this is sort of a life-milestone I'd like to achieve.

I can promise a long-term home, and should the unthinkable force it, I'd sell it only for the cash I had into it. 

Thanks everyone! Feel free to email my username at gmail if easier.

Edited by skylund
Found one!

'71 inka 'Ingrid'

10 minutes ago, irdave said:

I'm guessing you looked over on s14.net

Thanks! But yeah, s14.net, r3vlimited, Bimmerforums, Pelican Parts, ebay, craigslist, Autotrader, Cars and Bids, Facebook marketplace, builtforbackroads.com, and Bring a trailer are all in the regular rotation. 

One or two have popped up within budget, but they went quick to local buyers (mostly east coast). 

Edited by skylund
Adding to list of regular-checked sites

'71 inka 'Ingrid'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks @MT43! I'll probably post updates somewhere once life chills out for a minute and I have time. I found a track car that was mechanically excellent, but barely eeked into my budget due to the interior being fully stripped out, a pretty 90s-looking aftermarket front apron installed, a race cage welded in, and the body having been (beautifully) painted a very polarizing non-period-correct color of Phoenix Yellow. I'm warming up to the "birdshit yellow" as its affectionately called, but the rest will be a long work-in-progress. At the same time, it feels incredible to even have a title in-hand after decades of dreaming. 

And YES to the Nissan Silvia. What I love about those cars (and the similarly outrageously-priced AE86) is that they can look so unassuming if you don't know what they are. Any Ferrari will get looks, but a cult car will get you conversations and like-minded friends. 

Good luck on your hunt! Believe me, I know its not easy. Having a childhood connection with the car was part of my story, and what kept me looking even after the prices got insane.

IMG-3423.jpg

• Like 1

'71 inka 'Ingrid'