• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘74 2002 new suspension questions

DoubleA

Hello all, 

I  am planning on replacing my suspension this summer and wanted to review here before and see if anyone had some input. My plan is as follows:

- HR stage 1 springs from IE.

- Bilstien  B8 front and rear.performance shocks from ECU tuning.

- front and rear bushing kits from IE.

- possible ball joints from IE as well if needed.

i will also be replacing my tie rods and  center track, but am waiting to install until the rest the suspension has been ordered.

if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts please let me know. Thanks!

Unless it's a dedicated race car I would suggest the Bilstein b6s, the b8s are very stiff.

I don't recommend buying anything from ECS Tuning, they are over priced and bought up multiple companies and ruined them.

I would suggest replacing the upper front strut mounts too.

Definitely get the ball joints, you might as well while you have it all apart.

You might also want to upgrade to braided stainless brake lines while your at it.

• Like 5

What's worked for me--a car that's 97% street, 2% autocross and one driving school:

• H&R progressive springs
  • Bilstein HD shocks
  • new rubber suspension bushings except sway bars
  • 22mm front, 19mm rear sway bars with urethane bushings (they won't affect ride as they only come into play during cornering, when you want stiff bushings)
  • replaced lower ball joints and upper strut bearings just on general principles/while I was in there.

As an aside, I ran 19mm sway bars front and rear--not a recommended setup but that's what I had--and used urethane bushings in the front bar and rubber in the rear to help provide the correct bias.  That worked too.  

I've been driving on that setup for close to 20 years and it helps handling greatly without making the ride harsh.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 5/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, 2002iii said:

Unless it's a dedicated race car I would suggest the Bilstein b6s, the b8s are very stiff.

I don't recommend buying anything from ECS Tuning, they are over priced and bought up multiple companies and ruined them.

I would suggest replacing the upper front strut mounts too.

Definitely get the ball joints, you might as well while you have it all apart.

You might also want to upgrade to braided stainless brake lines while your at it.

EVERYTHING stated above.

The most important thing op left out was.... What will the car be used for?  That is the primary consideration and can make huge differences in what choices are made.

• Like 2

2xM3

20 minutes ago, M3M3M3 said:

EVERYTHING stated above.

The most important thing op left out was.... What will the car be used for?  That is the primary consideration and can make huge differences in what choices are made.

+1

Bilstein B6’s (formerly known as “HD”) are better suited to most ‘02 applications than B8’s (formerly known as “Sport”). And Koni’s are both great and less stiff than either of the Bilsteins.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, bergie33 said:

Depending on current availability, you may not find Bilsteins by summer.

I've seen the long-absent Bilstein front strut inserts available from several sources recently.  Try Shockwarehouse.com...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

H&R 'stage 1' is a pretty soft spring, innit?

I'd avoid the Bils altogether and go Koni if you're going that soft on springs.

Just because even the Bilstein 'touring' (B4) compression's really stiff for 

crappy roads.  The HD's were fine with #325 fronts, probably twice what the H&R's are.

Shameless plug for ST's springs and sway bars and Koni sports- that made the best

combination of soft track/fast street car I've lived in.   

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What Mike said. 

H&R springs

Bilstein HD's

Rubber bushings all around

ST Sways

Urethane sway bar bushings

I also installed new rear carrier bushings with the Urethane inserts.

I love the way my car drives. 

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Koni sports with AST springs and ST sways . all rubber bushings. AST has corrected the 1 inch too high in front look you get with H&R. They are more money but worth it.

• Like 4

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com