• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neue Klasse Motor?

JWT

I have this motor in my 2002 parts stash and I believe it is for a NK (I think??).  I would like to get it to someone that can use it.  I am located in Houston, Tx.  I know zero history of it other than it was part of a "package deal" when another local '02 club member got two old 2002's from the seller and he had to take this with him.  He had thought it was for a 1600-2 (which I own) and delivered it to me one evening but ever since then it has sat and I need  the shelf space.  I can help ship this out as well......anyway....just throwing it out there to y'all.  Charity in the form of a 2 or 3 piece 2002 dash is acceptable........ ? ok ok a man has to try.  Come and take it!!  Still has the plugs in er'.....

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 02tom said:

Unbolt the head and bring it to Eureka Springs (easier to lift) and I'd trade you for a 2 piece dash that I dont have any plans to use if you're interested

Man!  I won't be going BUT a lot of Houston Chapter guys are going.......hmmmm...I will PM you.

• Thanks 1

I'm interested in the head and block just to be clear, don't need the crank, clutch flywheel or pistons should something be able to be worked out. 

I'll go see if I can find the dash, its been awhile since I've looked for it.

The block number starting by 115 and the date code 5 January 1963 seem to indicate that it's an early 1500.

The VIN number engraved over the starter support would give a definitive answer if between 900001 and 923557.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JWT said:

I will have. look tomorrow and advise........thanks!!

And, maybe, while you’re looking, you can also find a head type, e.g., 118, and casting date on the head. On these early heads, the casting date was often on the left (intake) side, near the front of the head: two-digit year surrounded by 1 to 12 nubs for the month. I’m curious to see if this head and block have been paired for 60 years!

Nice early engine! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Inlet ports on that head look like it's from a 2 litre to me. Take a look through the oil filler cap - can you see the oil spray bar? If so it's definetly a later head as the original would have had hollow cam oiling.

Should be a 115 like this, but can't see it on yours, plus it has a later valve cover.

[edit - just looked again and the round exhaust ports say it's not a 2 litre head, so definetly more investigation required ? ]

IMG_0352.thumb.jpg.8b59ad74ecc0d3891ab33e4011790dc0.jpg

Edited by NickVyse

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Ok sleuths...........head is off....cannot find a number on it anywhere (I took it off just to have a little looksee at everything inside) but FINALLY located a number on the block......here are some more photos....this is quite entertaining must say!

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4849.jpg

No spray bar and a hollow cam (you'll be able to see the small oil holes on the lobes) plus the early gear type chain tensioner - original head made in November '62. Nice.

Not seen a block with the VIN area like that either.

Good find. But slow!

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I looked to verify the VIN but I guess my go to site doesn't go back that far?

WWW.BMW02CLUB.NL

Anyone know if this could comfortably be made into a 2.0L?  Update the crankshaft and get away from the 6 bolt flywheel?  Bigger valves too... the list keeps building...