• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long neck diff rebuild kit?

BarrettN

On the main 02 forum it was mentioned that there was someone that had put together a rebuild kit for long nose differentials, but they thought they'd seen them mentioned here in the NK forum. Does that ring a bell with anyone? - I'm not having any luck finding it with search.

Thanks,

Barrett

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

W&N has the kit available although seems a bit pricey  - the one with the various seals and rear gasket.

33101203003.jpg
WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Gasket set for long neck final drive unit

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

• 10 months later...

The crush sleeve is still available from BMW, though expensive.  All the bearings and seals are readily available through bearing and seal houses by their sizes. The rear gasket is the same as a 2002.  I had put together a few kits in the past, however they were all sold or used for my rebuilds.  Let me check and see if i have my list for bearing and seal sizes.

Matt

• 3 months later...

Update: Thanks to Matt I was able to identify all of the bearings and seals needed and have purchased all of those parts.

During the teardown, we noticed excessive wear on the side gears (internal gears, spider gears). These are the gears numbered 8 and 9 in the pic from the manual.

Does anyone have a good set of all 4 I could get?

Are these the same for both longneck and shortneck diffs?

Thanks!

Jamey

IMG_2274.jpg

1969 2002 Salmon Silver

7 hours ago, JameyP said:

Does anyone have a good set of all 4 I could get?

Are these the same for both longneck and shortneck diffs?

T

According to OEM they're different between short and long necks, although one side shows as being available new.

BMWFANS.INFO

Differential-crown wheel inst.parts | BMW 1502-2002tii 1600 M10 Europe

19 minutes ago, JameyP said:

Hmmm.....

It looks to me that they are the same gears for all models:

WWW.REALOEM.COM

WWW.REALOEM.COM

If you click on each link for the early gears it shows their useage - all models that would have had a long neck. The link you provide doesn't show a superceded part number for sixties long neck diffs - they start with the e21 from 1975.

Nick,

At the bottom of the page for each of the links for both the bevel and side gears it reads:

That seems, to me at least, to indicate that the part number fits all those models, which would include my '69 with the longneck.

So, just trying to understand how all this works. I'm relatively new to it all, so I appreciate the help.

1969 2002 Salmon Silver

Update: The diff is all put together and is running noise free and vibration free. Success!

I'd like to pass on some info for those who want to rebuild a long-neck diff:

Here are the bearings and seals you will need (HUGE thanks to Matt @Schnellvintage for the info). He's the man.

-Bearings (I got all mine through bearings.com)

6205, 32206, LM501349/10 (x2), HM88649/10

-Seals (I got all mine from 123bearing.com They are in France but the shipping was cheap.)

Front input seal is 36x52x9mm

Side o-rings are 81x2mm

Side output seals are 38x54x10mm (x2)

-The crush sleeve was TOUGH to find and it was expensive. (Lots of places show that they have it but in the end, they did not) I sourced mine from 2002AD.  

It looks like BTS-Autoteile has the crush sleeve and a rebuild kit with the gaskets and seals. I didn't order from them, but it seems like it could be the way to go if you order the crush sleeve from them. The crush sleeve is real cheap and so offsets the shipping charges. (The website is in German but if you use Chrome, Google translate will translate into English)

Regarding the gears: I ended up just running the bevel and side gears that were in it. They weren't too bad to begin with and I couldn't find any used ones that were any better.

Hope this is helpful! I'm so thankful for this community. It made doing this job SO much easier. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1969 2002 Salmon Silver

• 9 months later...

My long neck diff is leaking at the side seals. I disassembled the output sides, and just wondered if you have any hints on removal and replacements. It looks simple enough, but that almost always has me fall into a trap.