Metal VIN tags

John76

John, I thought it was related to the fact the VIN tag switched to being pre-printed for ‘multi-models’ (likely as a cost measure), thus multi-weights were applicable, so they skipped it and noted the weights elsewhere… 

ps: why don’t the early VIN tags say West Germany?

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

The weights disappeared at the start of the USA model 1974s (Sep '73).

Les, so what’s the deal with Made in Germany on the tags? Everywhere else items of proper vintage are marked West Germany… is it a sign of a repro tag? Or did BMW have precognition that reunification was coming? Lol

Also, do any USA Modell 73s have non multi-model pre-stamped VIN tags? Like do any late USA VIN tags only have a single model cited like 2002tii or 2002 or 2002 A? If so, do they have weights cited? 

Clearly the USA Modell 73s weighed more than the Euro models because of the added stuff that John mentioned. They might’ve wanted to hide that, but I’d think that’s not the reason… multiple weights (which changed even within a USA model throughout 74-76, and had CA-only variants) and/or a changed requirement to list the weights on the tag was all I could come up with...

TIA, you da man,

Tom

Another little mystery:  the (at least US spec) '68s had "1968" stamped on the VIN plate, but none of the later ones did.  No good explanation for that either.  I wonder if any model year 1969, but produced in calendar year 1968 (1 Sep-31 Dec) have "1968" stamped on the VIN plates, since BMW went by calendar year and thus would have considered them as 1968 cars.  

Anyone out there have a "first series" '69--that is one produced before 1 Jan 1969?  Does the VIN plate have "1968" stamped on it?

mike

35 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Another little mystery:  the (at least US spec) '68s had "1968" stamped on the VIN plate, but none of the later ones did.  No good explanation for that either.  I wonder if any model year 1969, but produced in calendar year 1968 (1 Sep-31 Dec) have "1968" stamped on the VIN plates, since BMW went by calendar year and thus would have considered them as 1968 cars.  

Anyone out there have a "first series" '69--that is one produced before 1 Jan 1969?  Does the VIN plate have "1968" stamped on it?

mike

Safety Legislation

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/1968-u-s-lawmakers-introduce-automotive-safety-standards/

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/19/12.80

• Like 1

2 hours ago, visionaut said:

Les, so what’s the deal with Made in Germany on the tags? Everywhere else items of proper vintage are marked West Germany… is it a sign of a repro tag? Or did BMW have precognition that reunification was coming? Lol

BMW always had 'Made In Germany' on their VIN tags; at least from 1960. (see pic below of a 1960 tag)

Also, do any USA Modell 73s have non multi-model pre-stamped VIN tags? Like do any late USA VIN tags only have a single model cited like 2002tii or 2002 or 2002 A? If so, do they have weights cited? 

The USA model 73 cars (1974 thru' 1976) did not have the weights on the VIN tags.

Clearly the USA Modell 73s weighed more than the Euro models because of the added stuff that John mentioned. They might’ve wanted to hide that, but I’d think that’s not the reason… multiple weights (which changed even within a USA model throughout 74-76, and had CA-only variants) and/or a changed requirement to list the weights on the tag was all I could come up with...

TIA, you da man,

Tom

161281 1s.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

mike

My 11/68 1969 2002 did not have the 1968 stamp.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, visionaut said:

Les, so what’s the deal with Made in Germany on the tags? Everywhere else items of proper vintage are marked West Germany… is it a sign of a repro tag?…

Tom,

The issue of “Germany” vs. “West Germany” has been previously discussed both on this forum and in many other venues. My understanding — no doubt simplified — is that, by no means were residents of West Germany unified in the reference to their portion of Germany as “West Germany”. There are and were endless examples of the use of “Germany” during the division, a continuation of a century-old belief that Germany was a single nation, temporarily divided.

Below, a Repa seatbelt manufactured September 22, 1975 (“22. 9. 75”).

I’m hoping some of our German colleagues can speak more knowledgeably on this topic.

Best regards,

Steve

6080C803-5428-4266-B332-CE0CC955B39E.jpeg

12 hours ago, HBChris said:

My 11/68 1969 2002 did not have the 1968 stamp.

+1

Consistent with my understanding of the “1968” stamp.

I believe the “1968” stamp was a U.S.-only concession, and a specific reference — as required from the 1968 model year onward — to the model year for U.S. DOT and EPA regulatory purposes. The EPA tuning sticker, which also probably began in 1968 or 1969, disclosed the U.S. model year. Thus, the tuning sticker may have obviated the need for BMW to stamp the VIN tag after the 1968 model year — said I, speculating!

Notwithstanding the above, I believe a couple 1968 model owners have reported that their metal VIN tags do not have the “1968” stamp. I cannot explain those instances, assuming I’m remembering correctly.

Regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Notwithstanding the above, I believe a couple 1968 model owners have reported that their metal VIN tags do not have the “1968” stamp. I cannot explain those instances, assuming I’m remembering correctly.

1565499 had 1968 stamped on the tag

1565659 did not

I believe both the above VINs are well before the end of the '68 model year.

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, 02Les said:

1565499 had 1968 stamped on the tag

1565659 did not

I believe both the above VINs are well before the end of the '68 model year.

Agreed, and thank you, Les, I’m showing VIN 1565880 as the last 1968 model U.S.-spec 1600-2. I’m not quite certain where I found that number, however, but I didn’t simply make it up! 😋

Best regards,

Steve