1964 Elva BMW GT160

The Elva BMW GT160 from 1964 was equipped with a dry sump BMW M10 2.0L motor producing 185hp. The car weighs only 1300lbs and has a top speed of 160mph. Like the GT40, it is only 40" in height. Only three were built, and all three have survived after being raced. Two of the cars retain their original BMW M10 while the third has been retrofitted with a Buick all aluminum V8. They eventually cancelled plans to produce it as "Production" car. The early to mid 60s designs such as the Porsche 904, Ferrari 250LM and Ford GT40 were clean, simple and retained an innocence where they still resembled production road cars. After the mid 60s, there was more of a distinction between a race car and a road car.

b887a92daea1a903de4faea4e9aa1a4d.jpg

DSCN0606.jpg

1018374667-SUT-19641021-64187_24A.jpg

fissoreelvabmw 001.jpg

Elva-GT-160-93581.jpg

Edited by Autostrada
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The name Elva was derived from the French "elle va" which means, "she goes."

The flip side of that coin was the Chevy Nova. The company expected strong sales in Mexico and Latin America when the model was first introduced but it doesn’t seem to have occurred to the Detroit boffins that “No va” in Spanish is very close to “it doesn’t go.”

I hardly need to add that sales were terrible south of the border…

• Haha 1

The side "radiator" vents are just for the oil cooler.  The water radiators are in the nose.  These cars have a very wide sill that is also very high, you don't "get in the car" you put it on like a shoe that is 3 sizes too small.  The original engines were 2 liter engines made from 1800ti engines.  They used 118 heads and they over bored the cylinders by 5mm to make them 2000cc.  

The cars were not put into production primarily because of cost.  Frank Nickols (the father of Elva) farmed the design and construction of the body to Fiore/Fissore the communication between them was not very good and the conversion from British Pounds to Italian Lire and weight in LBS to Kilograms got all messed up.  The car weighed 50% more than they thought and the bodies cost more than they were hoping to SELL the cars for. 

Underneath it is basically a Elva Mark 7s sports car with a roof. The BMW powered Mk7s weighed just under 1100lbs and the GT160 wound up at about 1450 LBS with the same engine, tires and brakes!  Imagine adding 50% to the weight of your car without changing anything else! They are beautiful, unique and good fun if you are 5'5" tall but if you want a fun vintage race car with a M10 in it find a Mk7s.  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 1:05 AM, kiva667 said:

The flip side of that coin was the Chevy Nova. The company expected strong sales in Mexico and Latin America when the model was first introduced but it doesn’t seem to have occurred to the Detroit boffins that “No va” in Spanish is very close to “it doesn’t go.”

I hardly need to add that sales were terrible south of the border…

Bullshit.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chevrolet-nova-name-spanish/

18 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Bullshit.

Except for the fact that this is what I was told while in Mexico during the 1970s, with plenty of locals opining that they would never buy one. Time after time, despite the protest in the article cited,

“…it would be a curious locution for a speaker of Spanish to use in reference to a car.”

Many Mexicans had a good laugh with me about the problem.

Having English-speaking people trying to decide how Spanish speakers interpret their own language is hilarious.

Edited by kiva667

6 minutes ago, kiva667 said:

Except for the fact that this is what I was told while in Mexico during the 1970s, with plenty of locals opining that they would never buy one. Time after time, despite the protest in the article cited,

“…it would be a curious locution for a speaker of Spanish to use in reference to a car.”

Many Mexicans had a good laugh with me about the problem.

Having English-speaking people trying to decide how Spanish speakers interpret their own language is hilarious.

There's a famous chain of restaurants in China, named, translated as "(the) Dog Won't (even) Eat (here)"..

It's very popular.

:P

Here's a letter from GM refuting, at least, that the Nova did NOT sell well in Venezuela.  Scroll down.

https://zapr.blogspot.com/2008/05/people-who-love-telling-chevy-nova.html

Here's Hemmings refuting you

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2017/04/07/fact-check-the-nova-did-not-sell-poorly-in-latin-america-due-to-its-name

and

https://www.thoughtco.com/chevy-nova-that-wouldnt-go-3078090

wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevy_II_/_Nova

some other publication:

https://www.deseret.com/2011/7/22/20385745/international-business-chevy-nova-tale-other-global-marketing-myths-debunked

I won't post the Snopes link.

So, cite your sources.

I'll wait right here :)

11 minutes ago, ray_ said:

:P

So, cite your sources.

I'll wait right here :)

I already did - Mexicans “on the street” in Mexico during the 1970s when the car was for sale. Look, I’ve never bothered to research sales figures and quite possibly the Nova did sell well. But it had a bad reputation on that same street. So, like most myths, the story does have an element of truth to it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

How about the best vintage race car with a DFV, Byron?

Well my choices would be a McLaren M23 for open wheels and a Lola T286 if you want fenders.  

I've driven about 10 different cars with DFVs and the sound from inside the car is nothing like what you hear on the outside.