starter replacement

Lotsa discussion in the FAQ archives.  Not a terribly difficult task, and yes, you can weasel the starter out and around the intake manifold without removing the latter; just takes patience.

First step is to make sure the starter motor is actually bad, and its non-function is actually a starter motor problem.  Lots of other things can keep an otherwise good starter from functioning properly, or at all.  Exhaust those first, unless you've already seen smoke arising from the motor, and/or you're narrowed the problem down to the motor itself.

And if you're not going for authenticity, there are replacement starters that are physically smaller (and lighter) than the original, and thus are easier to install.

mike

Step 1 Disconect the battery.

step  2 Mark the position of the 3 wires on the starter 2 small ones and 1 large one and remove.

step   3 Remove brace from front of starter to the block (if fitted).

Step    4 remove the 2 nut and bolts where the starter bolts to the block.

Then wiggle it out, replacement is the reverse.

What did I forget?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Step 1 Disconect the battery.

step  2 Mark the position of the 3 wires on the starter 2 small ones and 1 large one and remove.

step   3 Remove brace from front of starter to the block (if fitted).

Step    4 remove the 2 nut and bolts where the starter bolts to the block.

Then wiggle it out, replacement is the reverse.

What did I forget?

Sweat and possibly cursing, lol.

• Like 1

There is one b#tch nut.  It is on the block side of the starter at the bellhousing.   Not too bad to grip with a box wrench for removal but positioning for re-attachment can be challenging. 

I put the nut in the wrench and apply a piece of duct tape to one side to keep the nut from falling out.  Then I put the wrench in position to thread the bolt into the nut.  Without the duct tape the nut can fall and get lost behind the starter.

• Like 1