• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Morning Question - what supplemental guages do u use?

WRKO

I was gonna say, no need for a voltmeter.

But now I'm remembering that bit me last year :D

I want a customizable HUD with whatever parameters I care to look at customizable. 

Or maybe all that data transmitted wirelessly to a tablet or phone.

As you were! 

;-)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

My reasons for an oil temp gauge:

1.  like to compare it to coolant temp--it's always higher as the sender is in the oil filter housing, measuring temperature of the oil as it leaves the pump.  Just another way to keep an eye on critical engine operation, even though I know that synthetic oil is good for 300 degrees F and I've not seen above 250 degrees.
  2. I had a nice three gauge pod and needed a third instrument; didn't think a clock was that important
  3. I scrounged the gauge from a salvage yard Rabbit GTI for cheap, and used the spot where the tii's K-fish oil feed originates to drill and tap for the sender that came with the gauge.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here's my take on this topic:

- Center console gauges are too low to easily take in with a quick sweep; really gotta take your eyes off the road to look down there, so I don't prefer them.

- Most important gauge IMO is oil pressure.  Key to engine health, the dash idiot light isn't really adequate, and it even indirectly gives you an idea of oil temperature. (I.e. I know my engine is warmed up once the pressure at idle drops below 30 psi.) I mounted mine in that otherwise fairly useless little spot on the very end of the dashboard to the left of the instrument cluster, so I can easily see it when I do a sweeping glance of all my gauges.

- While less critical, I also *like* to keep an eye on my AFR and voltage, but for this instead of big gauges I just use little LED bargraphs built into the otherwise useless seat belt warning pod (AFR on the left and voltage on the right):

IMG_20191118_201810.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I mounted mine in that otherwise fairly useless little spot on the very end of the dashboard to the left of the instrument cluster, so I can easily see it when I do a sweeping glance of all my gauges.

Great place for a single gauge, especially for early cars with the emergency flasher pull-switch already installed and easily moved to just below the dash edge. Unable to find a housing that would fit in the space (and VDO having discontinued its Top Cockpit gauge line, I made a gauge housing from a piece of plastic plumbing pipe (a "street ell") and mounted the gauge in the pipe.  Painted black no one would guess that it's escaped from the hardware store's plumbing dept.  PM me if you'd like a copy of the column I did on how to make.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

All gauges are useless if you're not looking at them.

Raceycar has 'alf a dozen, BUT

one big white light that shines RIGHT in my face if:

oil pressure below 30 psi with revs over 2k

There are several more that do 

water level

water temp

etc

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL