5 speed swap

Hi

I gave the mechanic the guide to this 5 speed swap. He installed it without enlarging the tunnel so the cylinder is crushed to the side of the tunnel. I have to re drop the transmission i think? 

Does anyone know about a 240 getrag installation? I dont know why this shifter from iemotorsports isnt the right size to put the bolts into the back of the transmission. Its too wide. 

The linkage coming out the output shaft doesnt go through the backside of the otherhole into the iemotorsports shift rod and i cant put a clip on to secure it. 

The mount tabs on the transmission sit at an angle, and im not sure how the bushing is suppose to be installed into the mount plate

If you’re really careful, you can pry the tunnel inward using a wide flat pry bar.  Indent really recommend this method, but the sheet metal is thin and easy to move.  

Your video won’t load, so I can’t comment on the question about the shift tower width (I think that’s what you’re asking?) or the shift linkage. 

The bushing at the rear mounts to the tower in the same way as the 320i tower.  Attached is a drawing.  Part number 9 is the “hanger” that gets bolted to your shift tunnel.  The Ireland tower works the same way. 

your video is corrupt so Incant watch it.  Post up some pics and maybe me or others can help more. 

4D9C142D-94F0-423B-B6AE-F675BE859A9F.jpeg

Edited by Tdh

48 minutes ago, Tdh said:

If you’re really careful, you can pry the tunnel inward using a wide flat pry bar.  Indent really recommend this method, but the sheet metal is thin and easy to move.  

Your video won’t load, so I can’t comment on the question about the shift tower width (I think that’s what you’re asking?) or the shift linkage. 

The bushing at the rear mounts to the tower in the same way as the 320i tower.  Attached is a drawing.  Part number 9 is the “hanger” that gets bolted to your shift tunnel.  The Ireland tower works the same way. 

your video is corrupt so Incant watch it.  Post up some pics and maybe me or others can help more. 

4D9C142D-94F0-423B-B6AE-F675BE859A9F.jpeg

I emailed blunttech and they told me i have a 318i and the bracket i was trying to install is for e21. Is this shift platform for an e21 as well?  What about this support bracket? I accidentally ordered two. Is it also for e21?

Also the black linkage piece on the shift platform doesnt go through and i cant put a clip on the backside to secure it

20210925_074124.jpg

20210925_073118.jpg

5 hours ago, zeedub567 said:

Does anyone know about a 240 getrag installation?

Yes but I didn't use a purchased kit with shift platform and linkage, I adapted the existing platform and shift rod.

I dont know why this shifter from iemotorsports isnt the right size to put the bolts into the back of the transmission. Its too wide. 

How much too wide? try rotating the bolted on mounts 180 degrees so the bolt holes are inboard.

If its only a few millimeters too wide you may have to open up the holes in the platform to get some wiggle room.

1 hour ago, zeedub567 said:

I emailed blunttech and they told me i have a 318i and the bracket i was trying to install is for e21.

If your trans is out of an 84-85 E30 it has two rear mounts (they are not bushings!) 

The e21 only has one, dont think the geometry is interchangeable.

What about this support bracket? I accidentally ordered two. Is it also for e21?

Appears to be for the single mount E21

The mount tabs on the transmission sit at an angle,

I suspect you have some bending to do there, once you have the correct rear support bracket.

Also the black linkage piece on the shift platform doesnt go through and i cant put a clip on the backside to secure it

That does look odd, did that shift rod come with the kit? how about a pic of the other side?

Its difficult to sort out what you are talking about with only verbal communication. Pics really are required.

Sorry about your issues, you will get it sorted, takes time😉

IMG_9931.JPG

IMG_9646.JPG

Edited by tech71

Update: Got the video to run..Thats one weird shift linkage.

Probably because that kit for the 240 is an adaptation of the existing 245 kit. That black shift rod stub is an add on to fit to the much shorter shift rod on the 240.

I dont know, try flipping it end for end? Maybe  the other end fits better.  It that dont work its time to contact the seller and ask what's up with this shift rod?

I think these kits should be sold with a disclaimer:

"Some fitting may be required"

Edited by tech71

6 hours ago, zeedub567 said:

He installed it without enlarging the tunnel so the cylinder is crushed to the side of the tunnel. I have to re drop the transmission i think?

You dont have to drop the trans for that, as previously mentioned, you can wedge a flat bar in there and pry it out a bit. Dont need much and be gentle! 

Edited by tech71

3 minutes ago, tech71 said:

You dont have to drop the trans for that, as previously mentioned, you can wedge a flat bar in there and pry it out a bit. Dont need much.

Its already in there snug i think it was just the parts I ordered. I thought about bending the shifter to get the clip on. Just didnt want to damage it.

12 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I cant tell from the video... are the original 4 speed mount side  brackets still in there? The ones welded to the tunnel? If so they need to come out.

Yes the trans managed to wedge itself inbetween them lol.

What do i do to get the reverse lights? I thought i heard something about using a cable from an automatic?

4 hours ago, tech71 said:

Update: Got the video to run..Thats one weird shift linkage.

Probably because that kit for the 240 is an adaptation of the existing 245 kit. That black shift rod stub is an add on to fit to the much shorter shift rod on the 240.

I dont know, try flipping it end for end? Maybe  the other end fits better.  It that dont work its time to contact the seller and ask what's up with this shift rod?

I think these kits should be sold with a disclaimer:

"Some fitting may be required"

I believe the kit is sold with the disclaimer on the website listing that reads " Plate designed to be used with the commonly used 3-piece Getrag 245 transmission".  @zeedub567 Simply stated, you ordered a kit listed for a different transmission than the one you are using.  Unfortunately, the 245 is longer than your 240 and it's plate mounting is different, hence the shorter selector rod (you're attempting to tie the standard shortened selected rod together with a dual shear short rod, this is why it isn't fitting).  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I believe the kit is sold with the disclaimer on the website listing that reads " Plate designed to be used with the commonly used 3-piece Getrag 245 transmission".  @zeedub567 Simply stated, you ordered a kit listed for a different transmission than the one you are using.  Unfortunately, the 245 is longer than your 240 and it's plate mounting is different, hence the shorter selector rod (you're attempting to tie the standard shortened selected rod together with a dual shear short rod, this is why it isn't fitting).  

Ah. got it.

I didnt buy a kit just individual pieces. 

Its all good the 5 speed will be complete soon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zeedub567 said:

What do i do to get the reverse lights? I thought i heard something about using a cable from an automatic?

just make a couple of wire leads and splice into original wires be sure to sheath them in something. The reverse switch is near the top of the trans so clearance is tight. I used 90 degree blade terminals. easier if you install all that before installing the trans. 😉

IMG_3612.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

(you're attempting to tie the standard shortened selected rod together with a dual shear short rod, this is why it isn't fitting). 

That explains it, thanks

In that case OP, pick one, measure and lengthen it to fit. 

IMG_0588.JPG

Edited by tech71

Everything else short of shortening the original 2002 shift bracket and linkage is    Garbage in my opinion. You don’t have to saw off your original trans mount brackets in the transmission tunnel. Some of the kits make use of the existing trans mount brackets. The slave cylinder location and design on the 240/5 works well on the the car for which the trans was designed, the 320i. It doesn’t work well on the 2002. Servicing that slave is a major pain in the ass. If you have a big foot and bang out that transmission tunnel too much, you will have to twist your foot to fully depress the accelerator pedal. If you rely on mechanics to do your work and repairs, then you’re already used to forking out $$$. You may have to realign the driveshaft and newly installed 240/5 several times before you get it right. You’ll know if you have vibration or premature Guibo failure. For a speedo cable, you can simply use one from an NK car. It’s usually cheaper and fits better than most of the ones in the kits. It’s all overpriced. I would never pay more than $100 for a used transmission. They’re asking $1,000+ for used 240/5s, as is. And, they have an attitude about it. I’ve gone over a lot of work performed by these BMW shops. 90 percent of it is downright shoddy, lacking attention to detail. I don’t trust anybody to work on my cars except myself. I should have taken pics and created a log over the years. Don’t by into all the internet hype and cracker jacks.

Edited by Autostrada