How to fix a Steering wheel put back on off center.

Shonick

My Steering wheel was put back on off center. The bottom center spoke is about 20 degrees to the right. I am looking  for a quick tutorial on how to correct this. 

Edited by Shonick
typo

This happens all the time--Esty has the right idea...what I've done is to install the steering wheel's retaining nut finger tight, then find a straight stretch of road in my plat and drive straight ahead.  If the wheel is still crooked, gradually pull off to the side of the road while keeping the wheel straight ahead, then stop, remove the nut, reposition the wheel, reinstall the nut and repeat.  The splines are very fine, so you'll only need to move it over one or two splines.  Shouldn't take you more than one or two tries to get it nice and straight.  And don't forget to torque the nut down fully before replacing the center cover!

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 2002iii said:

As tight as you can get it with a regular 3/8 ratchet should be good.

Also don't do this against the column lock, unlock it and hold the wheel with your hand while you wrench with the other. The splines do the work, you just need the nut to keep the wheel snug so it doesn't move and wear out the splines. Whatever you can do by yourself with a common wrench is more than adequate. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

I've always needed a ratchet & socket.

Me too. I can't remember if I used an extension with a deep socket or if the deep socket was enough. I just meant that he didn't need a breaker bar or impact wrench or anything silly.