• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is it worth

esty

don't be shy, i don't hold grudges and quickly forget

1974 straight body, no rust that wasn't repaired, a front section of the frame rail section on the driver side was replaced when it came to me...patches in driver and passenger front floors...newish pedal box, new front brakes, calipers and hoses, needs rear brakes...has front and rear glass...no carb, battery or interior..getrag 245, 5 speed installed... what you see is what i have

we fixed the front brakes a couple of weeks ago, adding all new parts, so we could move it out and test drive it, steve drove it a short distance a couple of times and said it shifted through all gears and had good acceleration...he drove around the neighborhood saturday, pulling back in the driveway it blew a head gasket

it would make a nice daily driver with bumpers and an interior...the paint is good, shines, but needs to be color sanded and buffed...if i bought the car, i'd repaint it

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

cc.jpg

more pictures in the zip file

74 pictures.zip

1 hour ago, esty said:

don't be shy, i don't hold grudges and quickly forget

You promise??

Dead engine, missing bits (interior, bumpers, taillights and more)

5 speed is good but still a non drivable project car.

Mismatched wheels.

Tons and tons on unknowns.

Assuming a clear available title...

$2500 tops.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

This would be a great project car for someone from The Great Salt Country (NE and Midwest) who has a mechanically sound but terminally rusted '02.  Swap engines and interiors, plus any other little bits, and make a good car.  You've already done the brake work and installed a 5 speed, not to mention a decent (at least from the pictures) paint job, so at least some of the hard, dirty work is complete.   Heck, a blown head gasket isn't the end of the world--just means you can't drive it home...

Or if you're in California with a '76 that just won't pass smog due to a hot engine...here's your chance for a legitimate '74 (vs the "72tii" that was posted on here last week.)

I'm not hazarding a guess as to value, but merely suggesting who would be interested.   Bet you won't have much trouble finding a new owner...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Heck, a blown head gasket isn't the end of the world--just means you can't drive it home...

Also means there could be big big engine problems costing many,  many dollars to correct. 

Is it simply a "blown" head gasket or something far more ?

I've read several posts  here that aptly illustrate this point.

Throws a huge variable into the equation that has to factored into value.

To me.. "blown" head gasket translates to: "Engine requires teardown, inspection and repair as required"

In Faq speak, I believe that translates roughly to: "This way to Rabbit Holes"

I did just do a quick search on PNW CL and am revising my opinion of value.

$3500 tops.

The same car with a verified decent running engine (good, even compression, no/minimal oil  leaks/loss, no/minimal smoking might be worth $5000 to $7500 

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

My thought is you have a stright repaired 74 body, clean title, with a tested 5 speed, fair paint, and new front brakes, Esty said it was running on Saturday and blew a head gasket BFD I would count that as a runner with some repairs I've been on this board since day one and I've never seen Esty mislead anyone so I would take her word for that.  IMO 4k or more to the right buyer.

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Hi Esty,

I'd say at least about $4k in its current state myself. Clean body, 5-speed, other updates, even with a blown head gasket. That is as long as the frame/floor repairs present decently and are done fine. Even absent a matching block?, this would be a fun project for someone looking to do an engine upgrade or swap - the head gasket to me is no biggie as Mike said.

Cheers,

Bret

• Thanks 1

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

51 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I've never seen Esty mislead anyone so I would take her word for that. 

So would I. But Esty hasn't vouched for this engine. All she said was "pulling into the driveway it blew a head gasket" 

And I have the impression the car sat for a long period of time.

Just trying to be objective here in relation to value and apparently, play devils advocate. Hope you are still talking to me Esty?

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

keep the comments coming guys, i appreciate it

while i'm in the thread, if anyone wants it for $4000, come and get it...we have a clean title

i have matching, dyed tan recaro front and rear seats, door cards, front and rear glass, i have several sets of wheels, including a set or 15" rota's...chrome bumpers, very nice grills, BMW window seals (we just installed new rear window seals and headliner) brand new, never mounted kamei front spoiler, etc etc etc, i that i'll sell, that we were going to use with the car

unnamed.jpg

index.jpg

recaro style rear seat.JPG

9 minutes ago, tech71 said:

So would I. But Esty hasn't vouched for this engine. All she said was "pulling into the driveway it blew a head gasket" 

And I have the impression the car sat for a long period of time.

Just trying to be objective here in relation to value and apparently, play devils advocate. Hope you are still talking to me Esty?

i love honesty...the car did set for 6 years but for the last 4 months, on jack stands mind you, the car started and purred, no smoke at al with just a bump of the starterl...we never drove the car more than a few miles around the neighborhood before packing it away so cannot comment on the engine except that the few times we drove it it shifted great, had plenty of power, did not make any noise or smoke

we bought a little BMW 2002 pickup a few years back, drove it 8 miles from home one day and blew a head gasket...steve is not a mechanic but he changed that head gasket himself in less than a day...no need to rebuild head or any of the other horror stories...i truly don't believe this is anymore than a blown head gasket, lot's of white smoke and water in the oil...no oil or water is leaking from the head or block

• Like 2