Clunking sound at braking.

rjd2

Hey folks, so I was out in my '76 02 today, which has new Wilwood brake calipers, original booster and MC history unknown. A strange sound was occurring consistently upon braking: as soon as the pedal was maybe 25-30% depressed, if the car was moving, I would get an audible "clunk", as well as a slight feeling of a vibration. It would consistently happen if the car was in motion, regardless of the transmission being in gear. 5mph, 50mph, wouldn't matter-I'd get a clunk every time. I cannot get it to manifest itself with the car stopped. It's tough to diagnose with the engine running, but if I were betting, it sounds like it's coming from the front axle, and maybe even connected to the steering column. Any ideas on what this issue could be? I have never heard or noticed this issue in the years I have owned the car. Thanks for the help.

I'd treat this like any symptom that appears right after a repair. Look at the parts/system that you replaced. Jack it up, put it on stands, remove the wheels and look at your calipers and pads, I'm guessing that either the caliper is loose, or the brake pad is somehow moving around. or did you happen to touch or work on anything else while doing the brake upgrade? Look there too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's the strange part. I didn't do ANYTHING to the brakes since I bought the car ~4 years ago. Previous owner had installed new brakes, rotors, coil overs, sway bars, and appeared to do A+ work. This literally came almost out of nowhere. The only causal link I can possibly grasp at is that I took a turn out of a parking lot, and barely clipped a curb cut with my rear right wheel. Didn't hit body, and I was going ~5mph-basically drove off a 3" drop with my rear right wheel. Other than that, this literally manifested itself from nowhere. 

This is purely a guess, but it almost feels like the steering rack is very slightly shifting when I brake.... I can't feel a positional shift, and it's really a wild guess.

Try jacking up one of the front wheels, have someone in the car apply the brakes while you grab the elevated tire and try to rotate it forward or backwards.  If a caliper or the pads are loose, you might hear the clunk when you jerk the tire forwards or backwards.  If there is noise, you might need a third friend under the car with a light, looking to track down the sound.  Of course, use a jack stand.