Foam blocks in the quarter?

Just make sure your backlight doesn't leak...I've seen several 2002s with rustouts on the quarter panels just below the backlight corners.  It seemed an odd place to me until I discovered those foam pieces wedged in there. 

Also, on early sunroof cars (at least '68 and 69, possibly early 70s), the factory continued to install the outlet tubes in the trunk (vs the oval grey plastic plugs used on later cars).  These tubes were plugged with foam scraps back behind the rear seat as the factory discovered early on that with the sunroof open at speed, the volume of air crammed through those slots above the backlight was more than the tubes could exhaust, and caused the headliner to blow out.  

mike

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Just make sure your backlight doesn't leak...I've seen several 2002s with rustouts on the quarter panels just below the backlight corners.  It seemed an odd place to me until I discovered those foam pieces wedged in there. 

Also, on early sunroof cars (at least '68 and 69, possibly early 70s), the factory continued to install the outlet tubes in the trunk (vs the oval grey plastic plugs used on later cars).  These tubes were plugged with foam scraps back behind the rear seat as the factory discovered early on that with the sunroof open at speed, the volume of air crammed through those slots above the backlight was more than the tubes could exhaust, and caused the headliner to blow out.  

mike

Yup… but my 69 had no foam pieces inside the outlet tubes. I reinstalled the old foam pieces in the quarter panels then later swapped the oval plugs…because my headliner was puffing.

• 2 weeks later...