NAPA part number for Alternator

The Bosch part # for the alternator on 02's built 2/68 - 7/70 is: 0 120 400 631.

Hers a link to a cross-reference of Cross-Interchange part #s for that Bosch Alternator part.  Maybe the brand NAPA uses/sells is in this list?  Or these alternate numbers help the NAPA folks (or any other local parts type store) find their equivalent.

http://www.kakapart.com/oem/partscrossinterchange/bosch-0120400631.html

I believe it's very similar to the standard Bosch AL89X (which is latest match for many original Bosch 02 alternator part#s).  Which NAPA seems to call: BSH AL89X

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BSHAL89X

HTH,

Tom-too

• Like 1

Just now, Son of Marty said:

Please pardon a old man rant, but why the hell do you need a computer program to test a alternator? All your looking for is voltage output and some idea of the load it can carry, it's not magic. 

I don’t know. It’s the way the school is teaching us.

• Like 1

Yeah, it reminds me of transferring a title a few years back the nice young man needed all 15 digits of my vin to prosses my title. I say but this car was made before 15 digits were required. His answer was all cars have a 15 digit number. I ask so Henry Fords first car had a 15 digit Vin. His answer smugly of course it did or he couldn't get a license. True story.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

The fun part of electronicals is that they are infinitely variable and can do anything.

You just need to be smartish enough to thouroughly understand the powah you yield.

The hard part is that they are then run by the lowest- paid fool who can be hoodwinked

into selling their life cheaply.

Maybe NAPA part numbers are the lowest common denominator between the two?

Or NAPA's the school's sponsor?

t

excitation voltage x rpm + D = output voltage

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

but why the hell do you need a computer program to test a alternator? 

Which reminds me of the time I took my 2006 Volvo for its emission test in Seattle. The plug-in computer thingy didn’t work and they said they couldn’t test the exhaust. When I asked why didn’t they just use the manual sensor, they said WA prohibited using the sensor on cars which could be tested by computer. Irritated, I went home and looked up the rule. Sure enough, manual testing prohibited by law!

Edited by kiva667
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah, it reminds me of transferring a title a few years back the nice young man needed all 15 digits of my vin to process my title. I say but this car was made before 15 digits were required. His answer was all cars have a 15 digit number.

Similar story:  registering my winter beater Renault at my AF Base, back in the late 1960s. 

Clerk:  "Your car must have a seat belt for each front seat passenger.  Does it?"

Me:  "Yes"

Clerk:  "How many front seat belts do you have?"

Me:  "One"

Clerk:  "But you must have one for each front seat passenger."

Me:  "I only have one front seat."

Clerk:  "That can't be."

Me:  "Oh yes it can; there's only a driver's seat, but don't take my word for it, take a look."

Clerk, after walking out to the car and peering in the window:  "You only have one front seat!"

Me:  "Bingo.  One seat, one seat belt.  Isn't that what the reg says?"  

I got my base decal.

Kinda sounds like an old Peter Sellers Inspector Clouseau movie... "...does your dog bite?"

• Haha 3

As "Mintgrun" says there isn't a specific NAPA part # for your 1600-2 but, as "Visionaut" states, they do have an "Alternator- Remfd 45A BSH AL89X" listed as a possibility for purchase. That would be, what I would think, is the "NAPA part #". Call NAPA and see what they say. The teacher probably thinks everyone drives a 2000 or newer car. We live in a digital world working on analog cars and a lot of parts have dropped out of the current systems. The FAQ members can tell you what parts/numbers to look for.

....Continuing in the same vein...

Visiting Statue of Liberty decades ago, stood in line to buy tickets for the boat ride over (Sign-no firearms,knives,weapons of any kind allowed).

"I have a pocket knife that I need to check with you". Response from clerk, "You can't take it with you".

"I understand that I can't take it with me but, are you able to check this for me?" Response, "You can't take it with you".

"Ok, I heard what you said but, do you have a locker or another facility where I can check my knife before the next boat leaves with my family on it?" Response, "You can't ......."

BY this time, wife and kids don't "know" me anymore as the situation escalates. A very large NPS guard is waved over and he says, "Whats the problem here?" "I just need to check this knife somewhere. Am I able to do it?" Response, "You can't take it with you". Missed the boat, buried the knife in a hole dug next to an out building and now stood at the end of the line for the next boat. ...Yup, here's your sign.

• Like 1

The tester above is quite expensive, but one just listed for $1,000 buy-it-now, with a $700 opening bid (reserve not met).  You could buy this, roll it into class and share the fun.  Then, go into business restoring 2002 Bosch alternators.  It'd pay for itself in no time.  :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384382572003?hash=item597efc95e3:g:YcEAAOSwyc5hMAWA

This one still has the SUN 125 sign on top!

Image 1 - Vintage Sun 125 Generator Regulator Tester

• Like 1