on BAT ..... another 2002, this time a '72 tii

• OriginalOwner changed the title to on BAT ..... another 2002, this time a '72 tii

Yes, I saw that recently as well. An older restoration (although the engine bay looks like it was refreshed cosmetically when Tighe rebuilt the engine?) that still presents reasonably well as a driver. The most coveted year in one of the most desirable colors, although if it was me I’d return the interior to its original color of blue. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 1936spyder said:

Yes, I saw that recently as well. An older restoration (although the engine bay looks like it was refreshed cosmetically when Tighe rebuilt the engine?) that still presents reasonably well as a driver. The most coveted year in one of the most desirable colors, although if it was me I’d return the interior to its original color of blue. 

+1

On everything you’ve said!

It’s nice enough to own for 10 years, simply maintaining it and driving it. You could also, over time, refine the details, e.g., painting the hood supports black or that one wheel well Polaris — but only if you felt like it!

The paint job is probably not the paint job you’d put on a ‘72 tii today; it’s more daily-driver quality. And the interior, while pleasant, fresh, and reminiscent of a factory interior, suffers not only from the color change, but from numerous other shortcomings you would generally find on an older, less-academic restoration: one-piece dashboard, 9-pleat front seats (rather than 12), looseness in the seat covers, a “muddier” version of the original salt-and-pepper carpet, and those door cards which were “inspired by” but not “copies of” the original cards. But none of this needs to be changed. And most ‘02 owners won’t even notice these shortcomings.

Thus, this ranges from (a.) a car to simply drive and be proud of, to (b.) an excellent base for a more careful restoration.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, borgpj said:

Reserve not met, at $46,000!!  Owner was really proud of that one, I guess.

And $50K is about all I’d think is warranted — $40K was the number until the recent Sahara ‘02 (not a tii) attracted $36K! Let’s see if $46K is sufficiently close to the reserve for the parties to put together a deal.

Regards,

Steve

22 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Bidding's at $40k with 3:45 left in the auction...

Seemingly correct lack of snorkel on forward bulkhead.  But the horizontal panel directly above bellhousing port for timing seems not to have the carve-out modification.  Is this unusual? 

1626394207559b391066d3fecfDSC7731.jpg?fi

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/BMW-2002tii-motor2.jpg

BMW-2002tii-motor2.jpg2017_0315-BMW_29.jpg?resize=620%2C413

On 9/9/2021 at 1:27 PM, borgpj said:

Reserve not met, at $46,000!!  Owner was really proud of that one, I guess.

Ok, I saw this in person, I wouldn’t say Concours but definitely higher than Daily C&C car, don’t believe the comments on the internet viewing quality 

personally I’d be afraid of chips when driving a car this nice 

The firewall notch (a.k.a., bulkhead cutout) is generally a function of an E12 head and aluminum intake runner — perhaps to better facilitate timing with the flywheel, an endeavor made more challenging by the aluminum runners. All ‘73 and later tii models have E12 heads, and, thus, the firewall notch.

But the E12 head was rolled out during the ‘72 model year. So some ‘72 tii’s also have the firewall notch. The first U.S. tii with an E12 head was VIN 2761944, manufactured June 5, 1972. After cranking out about 70 E12 tii’s, ending with VIN 2762014 — perhaps a test run over one or two days — the 121 head, with its plastic intake runners, returned. Finally, with VIN 2762373, manufactured very early in August 1972, the E12 head and aluminum intake runners returned for good. So, following the E12 head trail, those 70-or-so “test run” tii’s had notches, but the notches disappeared with the re-appearance of the 121 head and re-appeared some cars before the E12 returned in August. My limited records suggest that the notch may have re-appeared as early as VIN 2762325, nearly 50 cars before the E12 head returned.

So don’t view ‘72 tii’s as not having notches: it really depends on the VIN and the history of the E12 head rollout! And, yes, European market tii’s were on a different E12 head rollout plan. Consult the original parts catalogue for the relevant VIN’s!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, Conserv said:

So don’t view ‘72 tii’s as not having notches: it really depends on the VIN and the history of the E12 head rollout! And, yes, European market tii’s were on a different E12 head rollout plan. Consult the original parts catalogue for the relevant VIN’s!

Thanks for the clarification.

It has been too many years, but I recall a seemingly original and pristine '72tii with plastic plenums - and a "notched" bulkhead.  At the time, I mentioned this to a knowledgeable tii owner and he produced what was likely an Italian aftermarket shop manual containing a B&W image of a notched firewall and a plastic plenum-equipped engine.  It is unknown exactly what that proved, except the probable existence of anomalies.

1972-BMW-2002tii-engine.jpg

bmw-2002-07-7226c8e2.jpg

Edited by percy

If you saw a car like that almost certainly the notch would have been cut by hand like the very first 73tii's the differance from the later factory stamped cut out they are unique. I would add that a early 73tii with a hand cut notch would be my ultimate tii, just because someone on a moving production line layed their hands on it, but thats just my dream.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2