• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 in a recent TV commercial

Mike Self

Noticed a recent ad for the new Galaxy Z Fold smart phone that's currently playing.  In several scenes there's an '02 out by itself in a big, empty parking lot.  Side view and kinda shadowed, so can't tell color, and it's shown so briefly that you can't even tell whether it's a roundie or a squarelight.  But the Hoffmeister kink is unmistakable.  

Perhaps someone with a smarter TV than mine (no, it's not a black and white CRT set) can do a screen grab of the pertinent commercial parts.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I saw that commercial and paused the tv to confirm it was an 02. The color looks to be black and very shiny, but it's hard to tell with all the crazy lighting. I doubt it's a factory Schwarz car since that would definitely be a square taillight, since it was only available from 1975 on. It has early bumpers so I'm going to guess roundie with a custom black paint job.

15 hours ago, 2002iii said:

… I doubt it's a factory Schwarz car since that would definitely be a square taillight, since it was only available from 1975 on. It has early bumpers so I'm going to guess roundie with a custom black paint job.

Let’s distinguish factory availability from rarity, recognizing that rarity may also be a function of the local market.

Perhaps (probably?) Schwarz was more common — but still rare — among square taillights, but Schwarz was one of four colors available from 1966 through 1976. The other “enduring” colors were Chamonix, Sahara, and Polaris metallic.

Anders’ well-researched and documented ‘66 Bible notes the original color offerings, including Schwarz:

https://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

And both my earliest ‘02 era paint and upholstery brochure, published November 1968, and every paint brochure through 1976, confirm the presence of the… “Fundamental Four” colors! Below, the November 1968 paint brochure.

I’m guessing that Max Hoffman did not want or generally order Schwarz ‘02’s. But, as with other colors he did not really want, I’m guessing that a few made their way to the U.S., through European deliveries, special orders, or those U.S. importers established solely for U.S. servicemembers serving abroad. I’m also guessing that the change from Hoffman Motors to BMW NA as the sole U.S. importer, in 1975, expanded the availability of Schwarz in the U.S., from “nearly non-existent” to “rare”.

But, as is perhaps the case with you, my starting assumption with any Schwarz ‘02 is that it is most likely a color-changed car.

Best regards,

Steve

A80892D6-500E-4F5A-A264-4A80D5B3CD2C.jpeg

6148A2CA-69B5-43D4-A3B1-7587A8DF4EF0.jpeg

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Noticed a recent ad for the new Galaxy Z Fold smart phone that's currently playing.  In several scenes there's an '02 out by itself in a big, empty parking lot.  Side view and kinda shadowed, so can't tell color, and it's shown so briefly that you can't even tell whether it's a roundie or a squarelight.  But the Hoffmeister kink is unmistakable.  

I thought my (old) eyes were playing tricks on me, and couldn't grab the frame as well. So thanks confirming my suspicions.

3 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

it's my car in the commercial lol

it's agave/tobacco and that parking lot scene was filmed at santa anita park

https://ispot.tv/a/qVpQ

thumbnail_IMG_6576.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6577.jpg

Allow me to note that it looks much better in the light! And that is not a statement I can make about every ‘02! ?

Congrats!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)