challenges installing the M10 engine

PeterCS

I am struggling to get my engine reconnected to the bell housing.

- I believe that I did a good job aligning the flywheel and the clutch

- I have the engine tilted downward (maybe not enough?)

- have tilted the transmission up

I have the hoist in the front of the car but I do notice that some have the hoist on the driver side of the car.

One of my challenges is the fact that the engine is hanging too far to the passenger side.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated as always. 

Many thanks,

PeterCS

BMW Inka Engine Install 4   9 21.png

BMW Inka Engine Install 5   9 21.png

BMW Inka Engine Install 6   9 21.png

I usually attach the trans to the engine before dropping everything into the car.  It makes it easier to align the bell housing and really isn't that hard to drop them both in at the same time.  You also might make some headless alignment bolts like the one pictured below.  The headless end is grooved for a screwdriver so the bolts can be removed after bolting the bell housing up with a few bolts.

Transmission to Block Alignment Bolts (2).jpg

• Like 5

Try turning the steering wheel hard over to one side, then imagine a line straight through from the crank bolt through the input shaft to the output shaft on the tranny for your horizontal line up it has to be with in a very few degrees to get everything to slide in, when your set there you can wiggle the engine and tranny around until it slides together. Hal's bolts do much the same thing faster. 

PS, make sure the tranny is in gear so you can rotate the input shaft to match the clutch splines.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

Stupid question but did you use a clutch pilot alignment tool to make sure the clutch disc was centered?  If you didn't have the clutch off this would be unnecessary but if you did and you didn't do this then you need to.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, halboyles said:

You also might make some headless alignment bolts like the one pictured below.  The headless end is grooved for a screwdriver so the bolts can be removed after bolting the bell housing up with a few bolts.

Transmission to Block Alignment Bolts (2).jpg

this right here is the correct answer.  i have made those "guide bolts" for M10, S52, M20 and BMW K motorcycle engines.  tranny slides right on.  buy long bolt, cut head off, slit with grinder for screwdriver, use with a smile.  more time for beer when job done.

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, PeterCS said:

i did not use an alignment tool but did fabricate one and was very careful. Thought the result was good.

thanks,

PeterCS

It doesn't take alot to be off the mark when you bolt down the pressure plate. Using an alignment tool is a no brainer. I usually put some light oil on the splines and nose of the output shaft. Pull the engine re-check the friction disk alignment and try again.