Transmission Exhaust bracket bushings

Hans

These will be only only two bushings needed. Any additional bushing(s) will not fit because the M6 mounting bolts are barely long enough. Once bolts are tightened, the bushing will be compressed to get the smaller end to fit the opening in the "Z" bracket.

And the bushings will turn to black goo in a relatively short period of time.  You'll know when this happens because the sleeves around the bolts will start banging into the bracket, and the center section will be a bit loose once more.

Anyone know of a source of bushings made from tougher rubber, or flexible urethane?

mike

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

And the bushings will turn to black goo in a relatively short period of time.  You'll know when this happens because the sleeves around the bolts will start banging into the bracket, and the center section will be a bit loose once more.

Anyone know of a source of bushings made from tougher rubber, or flexible urethane?

mike

in searching in here, I found a reference to IE some years ago.

Edited by Hans

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Yes, a flat washer.

So the tranny braket and the exhaust support brakets are separated by a washer but tight together? What does the rubber bushing do then?

It's just odd looking at it - the hole is deep enought to take two bushings - one from each side - which would have rubber between the two brackets. I had the car into my local tech and they put four rubber bushes on. I can't remember what it looked like before.

@Hans - This may be the set-up you're chasing....

On the bracket attached* to the transmission, the holes in the bracket are 3/4" or so (from memory) and the bushing (isolation mount) fits into the hole from each side as shown. The bushings are one piece; there is no separate sleeve.

The flat washer behind the nut is probably not necessary (and heck, the bolts should be fitted in the same direction .. not sure what I was thinking that day). -KB

*(note: I've seen versions of the bracket which are different, and may be the cause of confusion.)

exhaust-trans-mount-after-2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

@Hans - This may be the set-up you're chasing....

On the bracket attached* to the transmission, the holes in the bracket are 3/4" or so (from memory) and the bushing (isolation mount) fits into the hole from each side as shown. The bushings are one piece; there is no separate sleeve.

The flat washer behind the nut is probably not necessary (and heck, the bolts should be fitted in the same direction .. not sure what I was thinking that day). -KB

*(note: I've seen versions of the bracket which are different, and may be the cause of confusion.)

exhaust-trans-mount-after-2.jpg

What is that little corner of metal sticking out behind teh trans bracket? It almost looks like it is between the rubber and teh trans bracket.

19 minutes ago, Hans said:

What is that little corner of metal sticking out behind teh trans bracket? It almost looks like it is between the rubber and teh trans bracket.

On trans bracket (this version), there are two layers of metal spot-welded together (it needs to be thicker, otherwise the two mount/bushing would touch when fit into the hole). I found a better photo in my files. -KB

B7A42938-5C5F-4B1B-B048-44ACA82536C9.jpeg

Edited by kbmb02
-