Ugh, spun bearing...

Well, the Tii engine, a previous unknown commodity, that will be going back into Conrad, is now a known.  The engine has been out of the car probably for many years, now I know why.  I finally pulled the oil pan, then the oil pump, then the rod caps....spun rod bearing in cylinder #3.  Looks like it was run for a while that way, as what remains of the bearing is paper thin and half of it is welded to the crank and the rod is pretty shredded.  Guess I'll have to hope the machine shop can work miracles with the crank, but I'm at least in the market for a new rod for Cyl 3.  At least at a first glance there are no glaring issues with the pistons or the cylinders.

20210904_150403.jpg

20210904_150407.jpg

20210904_150436.jpg

20210904_151412.jpg

20210904_151543.jpg

20210904_153201.jpg

• Sad 1

I'm a cheap Swede, but take it to a good machine shop and see what can be saved and what is trash, The crank seems to be more deposits than scratches maybe it can be polished or turned one under sized, the rod looks to me to be beyond resizing but get it measured to be sure.  

• Like 1

The things are so durable, if yours needs anything more than a quick grind,

just go crank shopping.

Seriously, the shipping will be more than a decent used one will be.

A machine shop will go nuts trying to fix one, but it's not worth it.

Likewise, a set of stock rods shouldn't set you back more than the cost

of having them 'reconditioned', i.e. the big end made round again and the

small end rebushed.

t

the bottom ends are bulletproof... if you enhance the oiling to #3 rod.

It's my first experience with a spun bearing. Do they usually get welded in there like that, or is this a particularly bad example?  I'm inclined to let the machine shop do their best. They have a great reputation around here, so I trust them.

That engine is crying out for a full overhaul, as in: "spend money"

Clearly, its time.

Expect your pistons to be worn beyond limits in the ring grooves.

Determine your piston status now.. Its the biggest unknown and hardest, most time consuming, most expensive piece of the puzzle

3 hours ago, bergie33 said:

I'm inclined to let the machine shop do their best.

Excellent Idea

Edited by tech71

On 9/5/2021 at 8:51 AM, bergie33 said:

It's my first experience with a spun bearing. Do they usually get welded in there like that, or is this a particularly bad example?  I'm inclined to let the machine shop do their best. They have a great reputation around here, so I trust them.

It sounds like you have a machine shop you can trust … which means, they’ll straighten that crank (based on my experience, when bearings spin, cranks bend). -KB

Edited by kbmb02