AL89X alternators

If you're still lucky enough to have an "auto electric" shop in your neck of the woods, they should be able to rebuild yours...

And as an aside, lotsa stuff is in short supply.  I'm looking to replace the tires on my E30 (195/65x14) and most on-line sites show them as "unavailable" or "out of stock, no back orders".  My elderly Michelins are about worn out, so need to find new tires in a brand that people have actually heard of!  Rant for today.

mike

In the "for what it's worth" category, I went to a local alternator/starter repair shop and he sold me new bearings, brushes and a "diode-trio" for mine.  I have not put the new parts in yet, but am hoping it fixes the funny problem mine has where it stops charging after 3k rpm.  He charged me $20 for the "rebuild kit," which seems pretty reasonable.  The spare I installed seems to be working fine, so that repair is on the back burner.

I am guessing auto-electric shops are going the way of new AL89X alternators; but if supplies continue to dwindle that might inspire more repair shops to open up; although the guy at the shop I visited made several comments about having trouble sourcing parts.

Tom

38 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

If you're still lucky enough to have an "auto electric" shop in your neck of the woods, they should be able to rebuild yours...

And as an aside, lotsa stuff is in short supply.  I'm looking to replace the tires on my E30 (195/65x14) and most on-line sites show them as "unavailable" or "out of stock, no back orders".  My elderly Michelins are about worn out, so need to find new tires in a brand that people have actually heard of!  Rant for today.

mike

Yes, we all seem to be running into the Covid delayed pipeline. But it has forced some maybe helpful education for me. 

Bought some Ohtsu tires for the 2002. Parent company of Falken. Gave me the 195/55R15 size (original diameter)  I was looking for. Not Michelins by any means. But a solid, easily rotatable (non directional thread) tires. Cheap interim tire while you wait for the Michelins to come. 

Covid may be a chance for some unknowns to make a name for themselves. 

Cheers! 

For vintage and classic tires, take a look at  Longstone tyres in the UK, they have both sizes mentioned above, and they are newly manufactured, and ship to the US in a week... some are pricey, but they also offer package deals with free shipping.... Aidan

• Like 1