71 Tii - Uro Lower radiator hose

MARHD

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick question, I ordered a lower radiator hose for my 71 Tii project and when it arrived, I tried fitting it up, but it just seemed a bit off (Images attached). 

It is an Uro part and according to their website, should work with a 71 Tii, part number is: 11531205702. 

I did a few quick searches, and for some reason RealOEM shows this part number as a lower hose for a car with AC. After searching the FAQ I read that BMW actually made an AC specific lower hose even though they didn't have AC as a factory option, strange. 

So, basically would it be fine to just bend this hose a bit more than normal to make it fit, or should I just get a hose from BMW using the other RealOEM part number (11531266452)?

Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-01 at 12.35.07.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-01 at 12.35.18.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-01 at 12.24.10.jpeg

All U.S.-spec cars from ca. 1972 onward got radiators better equipped to work around the A/C compressor — even though, (1.) as you say, none had factory A/C, and (2.) only a minority ever acquired A/C.

I suspect this change accompanied the introduction of the Behr (dealer-installed) A/C system. The cost of the modifications to the radiator at original manufacture — the lower outlet was moved outboard and angled upward approximately 45 degrees — were probably negligible, but Behr was clearly working with BMW to market and promote the new Behr system: it’s the only A/C which acquired BMW part numbers. 

Besides BMW, Walloth & Nesch, and others, sell the standard (no A/C) lower hose as well.

Regards,

Steve

I called my local BMW dealer and apparently they have stock of the correct hose (11531266452) and if not they should be able to order from Germany. I didn't think they would stock any 02 parts, but I guess I was wrong😆, I'll just get it from them.

Thanks for the info though everyone😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

My experience is that an "L" shaped hose fits the early rad.  An angled hose fits the later 74-75 rads.  Your picture looks just like my 73 non-AC rad to thermostat config.

Interesting, Paul.  My '73 (Dec 72 production) was fitted with  Frigiking A/C unit by the selling dealer at time of purchase, and has the "A/C radiator" with the kinked lower outlet.  Thus i thought the factory started using the kinked outlet radiators sometime in 1972 or possibly '73, when aftermarket A/C fittings became more common on US cars.

Anyone have an earlier (i.e. an early "modell 71"--VIN 257XXXX and up) with a known fitted A/C radiator?

mike

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Interesting, Paul.  My '73 (Dec 72 production) was fitted with  Frigiking A/C unit by the selling dealer at time of purchase, and has the "A/C radiator" with the kinked lower outlet.  Thus i thought the factory started using the kinked outlet radiators sometime in 1972 or possibly '73, when aftermarket A/C fittings became more common on US cars.

Anyone have an earlier (i.e. an early "modell 71"--VIN 257XXXX and up) with a known fitted A/C radiator?

mike

+1

My tii is the same, originally had Frigiking A/C, and has an A/C radiator which has ancient metal service tags from two radiator shops local to its youthful stomping grounds. VIN 2762757, manufactured October 19, 1972 — I believe it’s roughly 100 tii’s before yours, Paul. If I recall, the tii’s radiator has stamped I.D. numbers and “BMW” but no date.

As usual, we need more data points!

Best regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 9:03 AM, MARHD said:

I called my local BMW dealer and apparently they have stock of the correct hose (11531266452) and if not they should be able to order from Germany. I didn't think they would stock any 02 parts, but I guess I was wrong😆, I'll just get it from them.

Thanks for the info though everyone😁

Thanks for this part number.  I have the Walloth Nesch high cooling rate radiator to install along with the Ireland hose kit.  The WN rad has a 90-degree port, and it appears that the Ireland kit has the hose for an angled outlet like the later cars had.  I'm going to order this 90-degree hose it looks to fit the bill.  The car had a 320i radiator before, so that wasn't helping me solve this problem...