Classic Track Day article

Not sure if this should be off topic but admins correct if need be.

No affiliation with the group but I did participate in the event. I had a similar reaction when giving a drive in my car to some friends that day. I think the article articulates why we take great pleasure in the experience given by driving a classic in any platform, to any level. The love and appreciation in owning a classic means more than just a lap time.

https://marqued.com/editorial/36tsP2P9GCjPljMMkGSwot/a-guide-to-your-first-vintage-car-track-day

Cheers

Moe

Edited by MOESPEED2002
  • Like 2

There is also a well written article of Lisa's collection to. Nice!!!

https://marqued.com/editorial/3Ury9mVPKfCoE8DT5bD8GR/this-ultimate-bmw-trifecta-collection-is-female-driven

Worth reposting if it already has been.

Moe

I’ve seen several articles pop up about this person and her car/cars.  How does she keep pulling this off?

The track day article was great.  Fast, slow, first, last… doesn’t matter to me.  It’s just plain fun to drive an old car around a track with a bunch of other people who feel the same way.  Back in college I convinced a buddy (who was not a car enthusiast) to participate in an event at road Atlanta.  He didn’t want to go, but went anyway.  He had a grin on his face for a week at least afterwards.  Needless to say I converted him.  

Edited by Tdh

MY SORT OF TRACK SAGA

When I turned 50(and that was 30 years ago next month) my wife and two children gave me a weekend at a BMWCCA high performance driving school at Pocono Raceway.  I was driving a 3.0CS at the time, bought a helmet, tied down the battery, and headed out.

In all the years that followed I never saw another coupe on any of the tracks I drove. Yes, lots of 2002s, one Bavaria, lots of other marques. Three or four laps and I was a committed addict. A bigger engine, fi, suspension, exhaust, tires, all followed over the years.  In the beginning I said I drove the most beautiful and slowest car on the track. True. After a couple of years I still drove the most beautiful car but had moved to the middle of the pack. 

Instructors would ask to drive with me, usually volunteering to drive the first couple of laps to, "warm her up for me." And when we were finished a run they would often say, see you next run.  But as the years and the laps flew by,  I began to realize the stress on the driver and the sheet metal were beginning to tell. Our reflexes were not what they used to be. 

Eventually I stopped tracking but realized I was not driving my coupe as much as I should. And she needed work and certainly was having visible and invisible rust issues. It happens when you drive a 3.0CS on the track in the rain. 

So why am I here on 2002faq telling my story to a bunch of round and square taillights? A year and half ago I was looking at a beautiful tii on line. My wife happened to see it and commented what beautiful car it was(I was driving a 1971 1600 when we met in 1972) and I took that as a hint she wanted one. The 02 had to be an automatic(Karen can't drive stick anymore) and it had to be air conditioned!  Those of you of our vintage probably understand. 

So I posted on E9coupe.com and in 24 hours a member popped up with Lilli, a Chaminox, 1976 2002, auto, ac, 78,000 true miles, all original!  Another piece of good fortune in my all too fortunate life.

My one and only point, if you have thought about tracking your car, Just Do It!  Trust me on this one, you will not regret it.

Steve O'Neill      coupecs@aol.com

20210108_153128_resized_1 (1).jpg

20210716_135146_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Yes do it, but be aware of the stress it puts on your car and choose  wise which trackday to attend.

Most of the trackdays offered here in Germany are attended by  the McLaren, Porsche GT3, Nissan GTR, AMG GT, Lotus Exige etc. clientele, so with an old car you're way off their pace. "Touristenfahrten" are the other way - a lot of unexperienced drivers - sometimes in beat up cars. Either is not what you're looking for. I think I found my treat in france at a nice curvy track. They offer 7x20 mins/day or if you decide to book in more sessions 14 or 21 times 20 minutes. Be aware that insurances mostly won't cover any incident that happened on a track. 

I am blessed to have a reasonable track near me, with a youngtimer club that organizes 5-6 trackdays per year, only for youngtimers ( so 30+ years old, mostly). My 2002ti is usually the oldest car in the field and I get grouped into the second slowest group because my skills are shorter than those of some others and I dont have a forced induction m52b25 engine under the hood. But its fun and on the narrow twisty circuit used for motorcycles, my car is actually pretty quick due to curb weight...I do sometimes think about wear and tear on the car but its not matching numbers so all the mechanicals are expendable...

Andrew

Uai

I do agree that track days are stressful on the chassis. Care and caution must be respected. Thankfully there is a throttle at the control of the participant and potential stresses wouldn't be imposed more than what would be found on our crummy roads in the US. Driving in this platform is much safer than on some mountain roads and can be rewarding for those that want to experience more.

I have participated with faster newer cars back in the day but found driving with other vintage cars more relaxing and enjoyable. Either way, getting together with owners that share an appreciation of cars from the era is a great way to spend the day. 

Cheers

Moe

nice article!

everyone should do at least one track day.  the cars deserve it.  you can never have as much fun driving on the street as you can on a track....and a track is a WHOLE LOT SAFER!!!

as a racer and driving school instructor for the last several decades (SCCA, BMWCCA, ACA, MBCA, etc)...

the following is aimed at newbs..

- just do it.  there is nothing to be afraid of.

- if your car is in good mechanical condition, it is not particularly stressful on any part of the car at the pace you will be going on your first weekend, or two, or three.

- pick a club to run with.  attend an event with them as a spectator to see what it is about.

- ask for a ride with an instructor.

- as a novice, it is not all that critical what group you start with, but the marque clubs are a bit more focused.  in the novice groups there are always some slower cars.

- there should be an instructor in the car with you at all times to talk you through what to do.

- in all my years of instructing, i have yet to see car to car contact in a school.  they are safe.

-the few single car incidents i have seen are either int/advanced drivers pushing it at the end of the day, or novices that think they are advanced...

if you have a really high end vintage car, you can be a bit selective about what groups to run with and when.  for example... my 40k mile all original E30 M3 only goes to BMWCCA events, and even then, only the friday sessions that have only instructor or advanced drivers.  (yes...i take my perfect, low mile E30M3 to the track at least once a year and drive it like the designers intended!)

on the other hand, my 2002 is my regular go-to car for any driving school.  no issues running with the front third of the instructor or advanced groups.   it is built to do that.  i rather enjoy having a car older than most of the drivers....;-)

if you have not done a track day...get out there!!!  you can "run the canyons" all you want, but you will never really feel what the car can do if you don't take it to the track. 

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 2

^^^^^^^ agreed 1000%

Also note, track day schools are a great way to learn defensive driving and bring driver awareness to day to day driving. I have seen many parents bring their of age driving kids to participate and not to drive at speed but drive in traffic and learn about mirrors and using their peripheral vision. It's a great tool and find it effective to calm the heavy foot of young kids.

Moe

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

^^^^^^^ agreed 1000%

Also note, track day schools are a great way to learn defensive driving and bring driver awareness to day to day driving. I have seen many parents bring their of age driving kids to participate and not to drive at speed but drive in traffic and learn about mirrors and using their peripheral vision. It's a great tool and find it effective to calm the heavy foot of young kids.

Moe

What Moe said....

while i focused on fun with the car in my post, the reality is that these are driving schools.  what you learn about situational awareness, risk management and car control  DIRECTLY translate into being a better driver on the street.  in my case, i am also a much slower driver on the street.  the track situational awareness makes you realize just how dangerous driving fast in a street environment is.  

I started out track driving in my 2002 5-6 years ago. It was slow, but I was having as much fun as anyone. I ended up buying driving gloves to keep my hands warm when pointing everyone by. 😁

Being the slowest car out there aided in my awareness when I moved up to quicker cars. I was also able to make a few rookie mistakes at a pace where I could save it and not bend any metal. I’m glad I didn’t jump straight into a fast car as I started out.

I have missed the 2002 on track, so have been bringing it back to a state where it is track ready and can nearly keep up with modern cars.

While the day ended in a mechanical that will sideline the car for a while (oil pump sprocket nut came loose), I had a blast getting back into it and feeling much more connected to the experience than I do in my F87. A light car with decent tires and brakes is still as fun as an advanced driver as it was when I was just starting out.

This thread needs video. 

Edited by bento
  • Like 1