Higher than you are

visionaut

Thanks guys. Here’s a couple more…

Yeah , Ed, you can get atop (or close) on a few, but this is only all-paved (though that’s a polite term for this undulating and torn up old narrow strip of asphalt).

I love driving at altitude and above tree line (11500ft). The 02s been up many times - though I can tell the duals don’t really like it…

It’s otherworldly up here - looks barren but it’s full of life. Quieter than quiet when the wind drops, then a Pika here, a Marmot darting, and raptors, tiny birds, and flocks of white moths. Colorful succulents tucked between the rocks and boulders festooned with neon colored lichen. It’s very unique.

Went fishing at Summit Lake seen below at 12800ft after trekking around the peak a couple of hours. It’s actually an arctic environment (!). Caught nothing but inspiration ;). Then stopped at tree line to see some of the old survivors - these bristlecone pines live centuries. The severe weather twists and burns them, but they’re amazingly beautiful nonetheless.

Tom

BEB74D8E-CD3C-4B5B-9F74-18080ED26AD8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zinz said:

It's also nice to see the Mountain Goat, that Billie better start packing the fur on, Winter's coming.

That's what I thought - but he's still shedding last winter's coat. He must know he's got time to get the thick stuff growing out (though it's hitting 30s overnight up there now already).

4 hours ago, visionaut said:

Then stopped at tree line to see some of the old survivors

Those Bristlecones are awesome!  I do like the high country though I find myself gasping more than the sidedrafts would.  I've always lived in the flatlands, but sure enjoy visiting the mountains. It's a hard life above treeline...

The movies you attached are pretty big files... I'll try to download them later; thanks for posting, though.

Ed Z

23 minutes ago, zinz said:

Those Bristlecones are awesome!  I do like the high country though I find myself gasping more than the sidedrafts would.  I've always lived in the flatlands, but sure enjoy visiting the mountains. It's a hard life above treeline...

The movies you attached are pretty big files... I'll try to download them later; thanks for posting, though.

Ed Z

I grew up along the water (NYC > NOLA), only got altitude later in life…

Re:the video - sry, I’d hope they’d play in the browser.. ones 0:38, the other only :05 (was supposed to loop but didn’t).

Couple more rugged old pines for ya Ed..

Tom

E15D8EEE-CCA3-46F5-B599-94A79F04C767.jpeg

81F50E78-8548-4713-B2C6-9EF2D5B5885A.jpeg

• Like 3

Life is good at 14K, I'm hiking up Mt. Whitney for my 8th time in couple of weeks.  Is it too late to start training? Was actually thinking of going running today, nah.  Was just at Philmont Scout Ranch and we went up the nose of Baldy at only 12.4K but very steep scree slope that never ended.  They must not believe in switchbacks at Philmont.

• Like 2

+1 For all the cool photos posted. Always have been awestruck and amazed at what is going on up there if you stop to take it all in. That ride up to Mt. Evans looks to be memorable and exciting. Never used to train for hikes when I was younger. Now, I have to train before I can start work under my car. Have summited Whitney 4 times. Last time was at the end of a John Muir Trail thru hike and summited right before a gorgeous sunset. Altitude can change your attitude.

3 hours ago, R.I.P.B.M.W. said:

Altitude can change your attitude.

Amen brother…

3 hours ago, R.I.P.B.M.W. said:

Always have been awestruck and amazed at what is going on up there if you stop to take it all in. That ride up to Mt. Evans looks to be memorable and exciting.

It is otherworldly- raw as hell, yet packed with abundant life everywhere if you look and listen close. The unblocked 360 degree views at the summit. The sky bluer than imagined. The ability to crawl and climb over it all. The sheer 1500ft drop offs from the summit to the lake below.

Yeah, it’s one of the great local summit drives that I look forward to annually. You can get spoiled living within an hour of the Divide…

1 hour ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

Bucket list goal.

Thanks for the inspiration. Looks breath taking.

Do it.  It’s a HUGE mental refresher that sticks with you long after. And the 14mile drive through forest, then subalpine, then treeline, then past the Arctic lake and finally into the endless glacial rock-strewn summit is a slow thrill going both up and down. It’s not a canyon carver (except for the lower 4 miles), but the drive up top taps the adrenaline in a different way. You can literally get away from (and above) it all in a 14 mile drive.

A week later and I’m still zooming along mentally from the latest little alpine adventure.. And between me and the missus we took well over 400 pix .. lol   So going through ‘em has been like instant rewinds.

Go higher.

Tom

5B0CB9B2-652E-4C84-8666-1D34E27127C3.jpeg

E3F3ED92-B609-40E7-89FB-00F32FB7E47B.jpeg

735795DC-8D95-4564-88F3-983E6BC93649.jpeg

AAF6C5BA-1D08-473A-A000-1DE92A5E97F2.jpeg

BEB37E09-9571-48B4-A282-ADF54383E27E.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...