Bay Area or online locksmiths recs?

I called a few local locksmiths about getting door and trunk keys made for our '71 -- and all said they couldn't help! All I have currently is an ignition key that doesn't match the VIN, since it's a different tumbler. Most threads i found with a search were a few years old.

Any websites that I can give my key codes to to get new keys cut? Or, anyone in the Bay Area (San Jose or Berkeley preferred) have any locksmiths they'd recommend? 

I don't know if the original owner is still alive, but there is a place on Winchester Blvd behind the Safeway next to Valley Fair Mall.  It's called Schwenk Lock and Safe.  They specialized in old German locks.  The owner was an old German guy and did great work when I took in some locks to be re-keyed.  Found their website: https://schwenklock.com/

The key you have--what does it fit?  If i works in the ignition but not the doors, you can take the door handles off and almost any good locksmith can re-key the handles so they work with your ignition key.  Unless they've fallen off, there key code stickers on the  part of the door handle that's inside the door; keys can be cut from those sticker numbers.  

mike

I actually got pretty good at rekeying the '02 locks. It's fairly straight forward, you just have to have a good selection of donor parts to have enough tumbler pieces to do it accurately.  I wonder if anyone has done a write-up on it yet.

4 hours ago, bergie33 said:

I actually got pretty good at rekeying the '02 locks. It's fairly straight forward, you just have to have a good selection of donor parts to have enough tumbler pieces to do it accurately.  I wonder if anyone has done a write-up on it yet.

I rekeyed a pick-n-pull trunk lock for my Mercedes 240D with some trial and error! I only have the one ignition key for the 02 at the moment, so I'm gonna try either your or @Fensterbrett's suggestions locally first -- thanks!

Pulled the door handles and trunk tumbler off this morning.

Pfftt.

Just pull the wafers out of the door tumblers until they work with the ignition key, or stick the ignition key into the door tumbler and file down whatever wafers then protrude.

Cheers,

Edited by ray_
  • Like 1

AC Lock service on University Ave in Berkeley. I was referred to him from faq and he was awesome. He made keys for me from looking at my lock assembly numbers. I got multiple sets made and was finished in about 10-15 min. 

hope that helps!

Baker's Lock and Key took care of things in about 20 minutes! Thanks @MOJOJOY!

However, my trunk cylinder looks like it won't be usable. The key cut to it's code didn't work at all and didn't feel like it was going to. So I took it apart to see how the wafers lined up. Of course, the spring clip flew across the room, entering a new dimension and never to be found again. But, after i got it off, it was very obvious that this key was never going to work since none of the wafers line up at all! Gonna try and find a decent used one.

Well, since I had the lock cylinder apart, i figured it wouldn't hurt to figure out what was going on with the key -- turns out it was cut right, but the blank was too long! I filed it down until it lined up with the wafers, then filed the edges of the wafers down until it rotated smoothly. Now, reassembling it, that was another story. It's back together, but there's more friction when you push it in, and the spring is pretty weak. but the trunk locks!