Name those nuts

Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

I have these 2 nuts that I cannot remember where they came from.  I've been dismantling the engine on my 1974 tii, so they are from somewhere in that area.  They are M10 locking (oval) flange nuts.  Any idea where they go??

20210823_165031.jpg

If you don't have a nut can, start one. Toss them in there so they don't vanish.

More unknowns will probably be joining them there.

I try to bag/tag most hardware but some always gets missed.

You may not know where they go until reassembly but at least they are still available at that point😉

• Like 1

If they are 10mm my guess would be either  from the starter bolts (through the block and bell housing) or driveline bolts (through the Guibo)  they are about the only 10mm bolts that I have seen that were self locking. 

If the HEX is 10mm (with nothing to compare it to we can't tell exactly what size they are, a lot of people refer to fastener size based on the size of the wrench instead of the size of the thread) Some people use them for valve cover nuts and or for the 12V+ wire connection at the back of the alternator.  

12 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

If they are 10mm my guess would be either  from the starter bolts (through the block and bell housing) or driveline bolts (through the Guibo)  they are about the only 10mm bolts that I have seen that were self locking. 

If the HEX is 10mm (with nothing to compare it to we can't tell exactly what size they are, a lot of people refer to fastener size based on the size of the wrench instead of the size of the thread) Some people use them for valve cover nuts and or for the 12V+ wire connection at the back of the alternator.  

The bolt size is 10mm, not the hex head.

You could look at real oem see what you come up with, 2 nuts together remind me off my high school friends who were as nutty as they come, the Ball brothers, who always said, we're the ball bro's we hang together.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 1