Looking for 72 tii engine/block

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a 1972 Tii engine/engine block VIN# 2761811.

Please let me know If you have any information.

I'm hoping to reunite the car with its original engine.

Thanks.

Regards,

Will

Will,

Clearly opinions vary on the value of an original numbers-matching engine. Up until the early 2000’s, 99.5% of ‘02 buyers would not have even enquired whether an ‘02 was “numbers-matching”. Although more people today ask whether an ‘02 is numbers-matching, there remains, today, a strong market even for ‘02’s that have been completely “rebodied” (VIN-changed), which is as far as one can get from numbers-matching! 😯

But as collectibility increased, there has been more interest, particularly for the more collected sub-models — ti’s, tii’s, turbo’s — in numbers matching examples.

I’m far more numbers-matching conscious than the average ‘02 owner, so take my advice with that caveat. But if I owned a tii without its original engine, and I could not find the original engine — a long shot at best — I would nonetheless seek the closest good engine I could find, and I would seek a head and injection components that duplicated my tii’s original configuration. Thus, 2761811, originally a 121-head, plastic-intake-runner car, would get a 121 head, plastic intake runners, and the associated “early-style” intake components. But also note that good 121 heads are hard to find, and limiting yourself solely to “tii 121 heads” (not drilled for the mechanical fuel pump’s pushrod) may be too limiting; you can fill a pushrod hole if need be.

With patience, you could pretty much duplicate the car’s original components, right down to casting dates, but for the block. Would this equalize the car’s value with an identical numbers-matching example? In some people’s eyes, yes. In other people’s eyes, no. But I believe that by far the greatest number of ‘02 buyers do not buy an ‘02 with numbers-matching as a principal concern; they buy the totality of a car: condition, color, overall appearance. Thus, if you seek the highest level of original appearance, you’re probably doing it largely for yourself, not for resale!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I'm like you and lean more towards numbers-matching and keeping it as much original. I'm looking for the original engine mainly for self satisfaction, and as you said, to keep the highest level of original appearance, and not for resale. If I can't find the original engine then I will follow your above suggestions, I greatly appreciate your help and advice. 

Regards,

Will

• Thanks 1

+1 to the above, for #1 concourse cars. FWIW, I found one close to my vin a while back, and the price was good, but shipping trans-con killed that idea, so, still looking but I include “local” in my search filters.

4 hours ago, lilmo said:

Just grind the numbers off your block and stamp in the numbers you want.  Easy peasy! 😬

That's a joke .

Actually, it would be relatively easy to reverse 3D print the number and put it over the original. 😊