bleeding brakes

esty

steve replaced all front brake lines on the 72 ..after installing the new hard and flex lines in front, he was getting brake fluid from each bleeder except the driver rear using his Motive Bleeder...he replaced both rear cylinders, clutch master and slave at the same time...

his Motive blew a cap seal and he stopped for a week-10 days waiting on them to be shipped and today tried bleeding....now he is not getting any fluid through the rear bleeders after installing the new cylinders...fronts brakes & clutch bleed...resorting to pump and hold, pumping endlessly does not build any pressure at the pedal

using the Motive does push some fluid but not enough to make it out of the hose he attaches to the bleeders...pumping the brakes gets about the same results, some fluid, hardly any will make it just out of the bleeder valve with no pressure on the fluid

and...he tried cracking the lines at the master to see if there is fluid and one of the fittings somehow, mysteriously got welded in, it's not budging  

32 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

How old are the rear hoses? They swell shut after awhile. Is the fitting on top in this pic the one you can't get out.

UR-34311113656.jpg

the rear lines are not new but just a a week ago + or - they were getting fluid...he just had me out helping with pumping and there is zero fluid going to the rear cylinders now...hitting the brake pedal does not activate the cylinders in the rear...pumping sends no fluid to rear with the Motive connected and holding 15 psi

the stuck line fitting is upper (side), front of car that goes to the front pass side brake...and is one of his new lines

Yes the rear portion of the M/C controls the rear brakes through the residual pressure valve (that fitting on top in the photo) and one circuit of the front brakes I forget which one but trace the lines and you'll find out, try bleeding that circuit by pumping the pedal see if you get a weaker stream than the other front brake circuits. 

37 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Yes the rear portion of the M/C controls the rear brakes through the residual pressure valve (that fitting on top in the photo) and one circuit of the front brakes I forget which one but trace the lines and you'll find out, try bleeding that circuit by pumping the pedal see if you get a weaker stream than the other front brake circuits. 

you lost me

Your brakes have 2 separate circuits, the master cylinder is really 2 masters in one, the rear part of the master controls the rear brakes and one of the front 1/2 of the 2 lines into the calipers the front half controls the other front circuit and is completely separate from the rear half. if your rear brakes are weak you can check the master by seeing if the brake fluid is weak on the same circuit when you bleed that side of the front system, if so it's your master if not it's somewhere in the rear brakes and your master should be ok.

3 hours ago, esty said:

he tried cracking the lines at the master to see if there is fluid and one of the fittings somehow, mysteriously got welded in, it's not budging  

This little tool is well worth the $12 price tag.  It is the four inch size.  

610PAWP+OxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I consider it indispensable when working on the brake system.  I use them to break the fittings free and then use a flare nut wrench to spin them after that.

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

This little tool is well worth the $12 price tag.  It is the four inch size.  

610PAWP+OxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I consider it indispensable when working on the brake system.  I use them to break the fittings free and then use a flare nut wrench to spin them after that.

he has a pair of those and it was a no go, even with them

I think you need to replace both rear flex hoses, Esty.  I had the same thing on our ‘73. Zero pressure to the rear cylinders. Both hoses were totally occluded. Yours may be partially open, but I’d swap them out in a heartbeat. 

8 hours ago, esty said:

steve replaced all front brake lines on the 72 ..after installing the new hard and flex lines in front, he was getting brake fluid from each bleeder except the driver rear using his Motive Bleeder...he replaced both rear cylinders, clutch master and slave at the same time...

If I read your OP right, you are getting fluid from each bleeder except driver rear. So you have fluid traveling to the tee (item #7) and bleeds to passenger rear. I suggest you chase the issue from tee to driver rear.

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 9.24.15 PM.png