1973 Front Bumper Overriders

Background: Some 20 years ago a friend of mine gave me a set of bumpers off of [what I think was] a '73 02.  I was intending to replace the big bumpers on my '74 with these.  I forgot I had them, and re-discovered them in my attic recently.  I think I'm going to get the big bumper conversion kit from BluntTech.

Issue:  The overriders is what's confusing me.  The bumpers have these overriders:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2223-USA-02-1974-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3325

Part numbers: 51111816421/2

image.png

image.png

The overriders on the rears match the styles of the fronts...

Question:  What model year cars had these overriders on the fronts?  From looking at photos of '72s and 73s, it looks like both Euro- and US-spec cars had the "pointy" overriders up front:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2223-USA-02-1974-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3323

51111814701/2
image.png

image.png

Question  2.  I prefer the look of the pointy overriders.  Are these two styles interchangeable?

Any insight into the history of 02 overriders would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

The pointy overriders were used on US spec 73 fronts only, but were used on Euro cars (which of course didn't have the US-only 5 mph bumpers) through the end of production--but I think they were optional on Euro cars.  I believe both the overriders and their rubber inserts are still available.

The taller overriders were used on US spec cars from 68-72.  They were part of Max Hoffman's "non optional options" that he equipped all US-bound cars with--an $8 "option."  Early cars imported to the US--66 and 67 1600s--had a third style of front overrider, very low and really to cover the joint between the center and side bumper pieces than to provide any protection from taller bumpers.  Rear bumpers on these cars had a chrome strip that covered the two seams.

In the front, both the tall and pointy styles of overriders are interchangeable with the rest of the bumper parts.

mike

Thanks, Mike.  Great explanation.  Dealerships today are still installing non-optional options...

So now about the rears...

I assume that I have these overriders that came with the bumpers my friend gave to:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2223-USA-02-1974-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3328

LINKS/RECHTS USA 51121816417/8

image.png

image.png
However, realoem also has this listed: LINKS/RECHTS 51121816419/20.  Does that imply that there was a difference between the Euro and US rear bumpers on the '73s?  (Mine have the long sides).

What I'd really like to do is cover the rear bumper seams with this:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2223-USA-02-1974-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3326

HINTEN LINKS/RECHTS 51121803273/4    

image.png

image.png

(numbers 3 and 17 in diagram).

But, if there is a difference between the Euro and US rear bumpers, would those covers fit?

Thanks,

Ed

The chrome cover strips used on the Euro rear bumpers will work on US chrome bumpers.  And note the rear tall bumper guards, while apparently the same as the fronts, aren't, and there are two types:  one for plain rear bumpers, the other for rear bumpers with the rubber rub strip.  

The difference in part numbers between the Euro rear bumper center section and the US one is that the Euro bumper has  cutouts for the license plate lights, which are mounted on the bumper vs the rear panel on US cars, as the Euro style lights didn't meet Federal standards for license plate illumination.  The US style center section--without the cutouts--is NLA from BMW.

mike