1966 1800 Thermostat

Am trying to bring a 66 NK back to life and am having trouble finding a thermostat. Its the old style M10 and i cant find a part number or a replacement for it. All i can find are the later 2002 and E21 style thermostats. The thermostat that was in the car says "Behr Thompson" The other side says 75 (I assume thats 75°C). Any one know a replacement available?

Thanks

On early NK, the thermostat can be separated from the housing, so you were supposed to change only the inner part.

The 75°c P/N was 11.53.0.688.106 (While 11.53.0.688.107 was for 87°c version).

I'm not sure either reference is still available.

NK_Engine-cooling.jpg

Edited by 325ix86

On 8/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, 325ix86 said:

On early NK, the thermostat can be separated from the housing, so you were supposed to change only the inner part.

The 75°c P/N was 11.53.0.688.106 (While 11.53.0.688.107 was for 87°c version).

I'm not sure either reference is still available.

NK_Engine-cooling.jpg

Yes those part numbers are what i am looking for. thank you

Where did you get that diagram? My manual dosent have all that

On 8/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, steve k. said:

Can you take a photo of the thermostat and the housing?

Here is what i am working with. Still no luck finding a replacement, the part numbers posted above are no longer made and i can not find a substitute 

PXL_20210822_150531611.jpg

PXL_20210822_150523145.jpg

PXL_20210825_215136360.jpg

PXL_20210825_215126835.jpg

5 hours ago, IowaNK said:

Yes those part numbers are what i am looking for. thank you

Where did you get that diagram? My manual dosent have all that

I took the picture from my original paper part catalog, but you can find the same info from ETK

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=3211-EUR-09_1963_NK_BMW_1800&diagId=17_0156#11530688106

Unfortunately the part is discontinued, like more and more specific parts for those grannies.

You should first try to clean your thermostat with baking soda and white vinegar than test it in a pan full of water with a thermometer. Warm the pan and check if it opens at 75°c...

Good luck

11 hours ago, NickVyse said:

There's an old thread about this T stat here. I've been through the same problem and sourced a replacement, I just can't find/remember where. Have a search whilst I dust the cobwebs off my memory

I have found a few old threads where people found replacements but they are pretty old threads and the links are dead. No luck yet

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Nate - if I'm not mistaken these stats don't close off the flow of water from the bottom of the housing. I had this type in my NK for a while, until the error was pointed out and Preyupy who noted it would make the pump cavitate with no water.

• 1 month later...