• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Car Insurance

djorevich

If you dont have any claims in the last 10 years you can get very good rates with your local State Farm agent. Just ask for a classic car insurance when you go. I pay $60 for the entire year for each of my 2002s but then again, I only valued them at like $10k each. Also miles restricted to like 3k miles a year. 

I recently insured Vern my 1973 2002Tii with Hagerty, it's not inexpensive as some would imply. I pay $134/month currently which is for total loss & replacement. All my other cars are with State Farm which gives me several discounts, they will also do agreed value with an expert appraisal & photos. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

7 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

I recently insured Vern my 1973 2002Tii with Hagerty, it's not inexpensive as some would imply. I pay $134/month currently which is for total loss & replacement. All my other cars are with State Farm which gives me several discounts, they will also do agreed value with an expert appraisal & photos. 

That seems very high. I use Hagerty (albeit in canada) and pay about 300 US for 40k cover. Is that for casual use? 

I've been insuring my old cars with Condon and Skelly for many years--good service and good rates.  

My only experience with Hagerty was as a claimant when my '02 received a bit of rear end damage from a Hagety-insured driver.  Hagerty was great--no hassle with anything--parts replacement, my choice of body shop etc.   Car looks like new--and I wasn't out a penny.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

We use Hagerty’s they’re great never had a problem, they paid the only claim I ever had as quickly as could be expected…For our agreed value policy covering  five cars we pay less than 1% of the agreed value for coverage.

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

4 hours ago, Hans said:

That seems very high. I use Hagerty (albeit in canada) and pay about 300 US for 40k cover. Is that for casual use? 

Total loss & replacement.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

2 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Total loss & replacement.

I havent read the fine print, but I assume I get the agreed value if totaled. Are you saying they will find you another equivalent tii?

My premium for $40k cdn is $250 CDN.

P.S.: Fast fingers to get #1 for Ofest!

Edited by Hans
more

1 hour ago, Hans said:

I havent read the fine print, but I assume I get the agreed value if totaled. Are you saying they will find you another equivalent tii?

My premium for $40k cdn is $250 CDN.

P.S.: Fast fingers to get #1 for Ofest!

That's the idea, get equivalent 1973 2002tii.

Andrew Wilson

I have Hagerty and am quite happy with them so far, though (knock on wood) haven't had to go through a claim with them yet! Have the 2002, E39 M5, and Vespa insured with them, agreed values of I think $25k on both cars, 'cherished salvage' rider on the 2002 (don't need to buy it back from them if wrecked, they just pay it and I still keep the car), costs me right at $1000/year.  So more like double @BarneyT's 1%, but I'm still happy with it!

9 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

I pay $134/month currently which is for total loss & replacement.

9 hours ago, Hans said:

I'm in Canada also at $500 for $80k coverage.  Are we better drivers hence lower rates?  ?  

Maybe @adawil2002also has liability coverage that l have with my regular auto insurance.

I also questioned Hagerty about unlimited driving into and around the US.  No problem as long as they get the first call if there is a problem. 

73 Inka Tii #2762958