Legends Of the Autobahn?

Very interesting to have an event like this one (also considering it didn't happen last year) seemingly how little enthusiasm out there?  Or am I missing something.  In the past I seem to recall multiple threads with scores of images, and so many comments from those who went what a great event it was.  I almost posted up on one of the (few) threads that it looked a little 'swap meety' at the Fairgrounds Site, but then decided since I hadn't ever been on that site - I shouldn't judge.  Sooooo, how was it??  I saw a short video posted by someone on FB - it looked Ok, better than my first impression.  I don't imagine the folks that got to park out in the dirt were particularly thrilled.  Even without seeing first hand, it looked to be a venue many (many) notches below the Niklaus Club.

Given that the CCA had one week to pull off a miracle the event was really quite nice.  No one wants to park on dirt but there was no other option as the venue is quite small and getting all of the judged cars onto the grass was a real challenge.  The crowd was surprisingly large given the lack of spectator parking but everyone I spoke to was glad to have been there.

Good to hear.  It does sound like CCA (Audi, Merc) really did get screwed.  Like I said, I haven't seen the venue first hand - the first few pictures I saw were all of cars on the dirt and I though - oh boy, not good.  The video I saw on FB was mostly of the cars on the grass and wherever else, looked Ok to me, but as you suggest a little close.

Probably not for a while,  Monterey Car Week is always the second week of August (as far as I recall), which would place it 8/8-8/14.  I would guess than it would be 8/13.  I would guess CCA is butt-hurt at getting pushed out of their venue at the last minute and will be working really hard to make up for that next year.

Paying 75 bucks for “display class” and then having to park out in the back lot wedged in between a Toyota Corolla and a Range Rover sucked. I ended up moving Crusty and parked by myself. Felt like some of our cars weren’t really part of the event we paid to be a part of. I get the last minute venue swap screwed alot of things up. Overall it was decent but a lot less inclusive for display class cars.

C9EC6ADF-0F98-491A-86C6-C6F694AED37E.jpeg

BCB0DDCA-F1AF-4A06-B9CA-BF42D554B9D1.jpeg

Edited by CoastalCrush
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Crusty looks great.  Car week is a special thing from my perspective ...... this event didn't appear to have the luster that it should have - not CCA's fault unfortunately given the circumstances.  Next year will be hear before you know it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markmac said:

McCalls Revival and Quail usually set the date pretty early, check both of those out and you will know for sure, well in advance.

According to the current info displayed on their site the dates for next years event will be starting the week of August 15, 2022....time to start planning our trip.

https://whatsupmonterey.com/article/activities/monterey-car-week-overview

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalCrush said:

Paying 75 bucks for “display class” and then having to park out in the back lot wedged in between a Toyota Corolla and a Range Rover sucked. I ended up moving Crusty and parked by myself. Felt like some of our cars weren’t really part of the event we paid to be a part of. I get the last minute venue swap screwed alot of things up. Overall it was decent but a lot less inclusive for display class cars.

C9EC6ADF-0F98-491A-86C6-C6F694AED37E.jpeg

BCB0DDCA-F1AF-4A06-B9CA-BF42D554B9D1.jpeg

Yeah I know it’s not ideal.  My class ended up inside a building with poor lighting.  Being able to move an event of this size in not only the time they had but when they had to do it (car week), I think they really pulled it off well.  I don’t think anyone had actually set foot in the location before Friday and the maps we had to lay out the cars were all done via Google Earth imagery.  The site was further constrained by Mecum’s use of a decent part of the venue. 

The whole change stemmed from BMW NA not committing to more activities at Pasadera, then a big NIMBY problem in Carmel Valley Village.  I’ll say for sure that the spectator traffic wouldn’t have nearly been as much out there and it absolutely would have been warmer.  

I can complain about as well as anyone but I am much happier to have had the event than to come all that way and not have had the event which was my primary reason for attending.  I think all parties involved did a great job in putting something suitable together and honestly for every complaint I’ve heard, I’ve heard 5 people that actually liked it.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Another year for me at the Legends and I loved it again. I am glad that despite big issues the event still happened. In the past, this was one of the events I really had nothing to do, so mostly roaming around and talking to people. This time i had to spend some time putting lipstick on a pig. My family and non car friends also made it to the event. All that took a big chunk of my time, but glad people found our spot on the grass so i did not have to go find them :). It is great to walk around a see new cool things, but for me, most of these events are about people. I was happy to see most, sad that i missed others.

There is not just under a year for the BMW CCA to get the plans in place for the next LOTA.  

steve k.

next year we can bring the Champagne Flutes and celebrate Pebble Beach style 

• Like 1