Seized engine how do I get it to turn By JC74tii

I have a 1974 BMW 2002tii and the engine has seized up and will not turn over. I have tried using a breaker bar, different lubricants and it is still locked up. Any recommendation on how I can get the motor to turn over?  If I have there is no possible  way to get this motor to turn what would be a ruff estimate of the cost to have a to have a rebuilt ?  

50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works well, the acetone helps it penetrate and unstick the rings. Just a tweak on the breaker bar, you're not trying to free it up completely all at one go - it may take a week or so, little by little, just to break it lose. 

Edited by BarrettN

If your out of things to try my next step would be to pull the head and see how much rust and crap there is to get through and to make sure all the pistons are in the right places incase it's a thrown rod. Then mix a batch of atf and acetone 50-50 and let that soak in around the rings then try gently rocking it back and forth with the car in gear. 

If you have or can borrow a borescope camera, you can pull spark plugs and peer into each cylinder to see if there's one cylinder that's crudded up.   If they're all clean, soaking might work,  but if there's crud or rust, it's gonna have to come apart.

I had an engine--4 cyl, 570cc--stick on me over one winter--freshly rebuilt, too--that I couldn't break loose with a breaker bar on the crankshaft or even towing it around and popping the clutch.  Finally had to drop the pan and unbolt connecting rods one at a time--the stuck one took only a light tap with a rawhide mallet to unstick as it was stuck at the bottom of its throw, where there was no leverage.

mike

• Like 1

So you were driving along and and all of a sudden.. the engine seized up?

OR

Its been sitting a long time and wont turn over?

Some background please

1 hour ago, JC74tii said:

I have a 1974 BMW 2002tii and the engine has seized up and will not turn over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if it has been sitting a long time, it's rust...our 74 rusted on 2 cylinders and steve tried for 2 weeks to free it...he used every remedy he read about online, poured in the cylinders...finally filled the cylinders with white vinegar one morning, that afternoon he was able to get the engine moving with a breaker bar...a week later it was purring like a kitten...and it didn't smoke at all as we expected

• Like 2

If it is stuck just getting it to turn over is not going to save you from rebuilding it.  Even IF you can get it to turn over trying to start it or even spin it over to make some oil pressure (if it will) will do more harm than good.  The only reason to try to get it to turn over is so that you might stand a chance of getting the pistons out of the block with less effort once you take the engine apart.  

• Like 2