Jump to content

1976 BMW 2002 110,912 ORIGINAL MILES


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, 02Les said:

heheh, 111k original miles on non-original gauge cluster🤨

 

s-l1600v.jpg


Yeah, Les,

 

They should have just gone with the 10,912 original miles line, it’s equally valid… 😉

 

I — trying to be helpful (?😋) — pointed out a similarly “out-of-period” speedometer to an eBay seller a couple years ago — even told him how to find the date on the speedometer — but he was sticking with the line the prior seller gave him: 32,000 original miles, as captured by a cross-hairs speedometer on a pre-Modell 71 ‘02 ! You can lead a horse to water… 🙄

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite the mileage being meaningless, this appears to be an extremely-complete, un-molested car is very good un-restored condition! It’s a color and equipment twin for a ‘76 my best buddy’s father bought in 1976, two months before I purchased my ‘76. Anthrazitgrau metallic with a Nylon Brown interior is both rare and tasteful, and fits a late square taillight well. Late OEM alloys would look great with this color combo.

 

VIN 2378504 is a U.S.-spec 1976 model, manufactured in January 1976, according to RealOEM.com. That un-cracked dash and those beautiful dry rear wheel wells are pretty exciting! I’m looking at the multi-tone, one-piece carpet — which I believe to be original (yes, it should be dated underneath) — and I’m guessing this car has well under a 100K miles on it. I have to add, the condition of this reminds me of both Steve O’s (@bavariaboy) ‘76 2002A and my ‘76 2002, both of which managed to be extremely well preserved examples despite East Coast histories, but, perhaps, thanks to long original ownership.

 

I’m impressed. If you don’t absolutely need a round taillight for snob appeal — I need a round taillight for snob appeal — get thee to Cohoes, New York, and check this car out!

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

 

45128D41-1A72-42CD-828A-2EB586627407.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve thanks for the compliment, I will pass it on to Lilli, my 76, Chaminox 2002 with 82,000 miles on the clock. Fortunately for Lilli she did NOT spend most of life on the dreaded and salty East Coast.  Les found an ad for her posted in 2014. Up until that point she spent her life sheltered in a climate/humidity controlled garage. No rain, waxed, obsessed over.  A true Sunday driver in amazing condition, not my word but the word of a former BMW/Porsche/MB Service Tech manager who did the write up. He is a long time 2002 owner also. 

 

I purchased her from a guy on E9coupe.com who lives in North Jersey. She was always garaged during his ownership, but I have to fill in the years from 2014 to his ownership. She is a rare bird indeed.

 

Steve ONeill

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 11:52 PM, bavariaboy said:

Steve thanks for the compliment, I will pass it on to Lilli, my 76, Chaminox 2002 with 82,000 miles on the clock. Fortunately for Lilli she did NOT spend most of life on the dreaded and salty East Coast.  Les found an ad for her posted in 2014. Up until that point she spent her life sheltered in a climate/humidity controlled garage. No rain, waxed, obsessed over.  A true Sunday driver in amazing condition, not my word but the word of a former BMW/Porsche/MB Service Tech manager who did the write up. He is a long time 2002 owner also. 

 

I purchased her from a guy on E9coupe.com who lives in North Jersey. She was always garaged during his ownership, but I have to fill in the years from 2014 to his ownership. She is a rare bird indeed.

 

Steve ONeill


I thought, Steve, that the New Jersey history, apparently only since 2014, was Lilli’s “origin story”.


So in what state was she sold?

 

Best regards,

 

Steve C.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

 

Good news for me as I was considering driving up to look and realized the auction was set to end in 8 hours ...

 

Perhaps someone pointed out the mileage issue to the seller? If that's the issue, it is reassuring that the seller is going to relist - I would be more concerned about the credibility of the seller than the actual meaningless mileage if they knowingly sold a car with unreliable milage #s as being original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, spurcap said:

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

 

Good news for me as I was considering driving up to look and realized the auction was set to end in 8 hours ...

 

Perhaps someone pointed out the mileage issue to the seller? If that's the issue, it is reassuring that the seller is going to relist - I would be more concerned about the credibility of the seller than the actual meaningless mileage if they knowingly sold a car with unreliable milage #s as being original.


To be honest, (1.) most people accept a prior owner’s testimony regarding mileage, especially when it’s favorable testimony, (2.) I’ve found that car enthusiasts that grew up in the 6-digit-odometer era are far more likely to accept an odometer reading as complete and accurate than those that lived through the 5-digit era — turning back odometers was shockingly common in the 1950’s and 1960’s, (3.) ‘02’s have notoriously problematic speedometers, odometers, and speedometer cables — but few non-‘02 people know that, and (4.) even on the FAQ, maybe 1 in 1,000 members recognizes an “incorrect” speedometer face — and I’m probably being wildly optimistic!

 

The chances of the eBay seller knowing the speedometer was not original are (a.) slim, and (b.) “Slim” just left town. And he was positing that the odometer had actually turned over once, a relatively rare admission for a car with a 5-digit odometer.

 

As I said in my prior post, if that carpet is original — and I believe it is — this car likely has less than 100K miles on it. Advertising 111K miles was probably a mis-statement that harmed the value, rather than enhanced it.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:


To be honest, (1.) most people accept a prior owner’s testimony regarding mileage, especially when it’s favorable testimony, (2.) I’ve found that car enthusiasts that grew up in the 6-digit-odometer era are far more likely to accept an odometer reading as complete and accurate than those that lived through the 5-digit era — turning back odometers was shockingly common in the 1950’s and 1960’s, (3.) ‘02’s have notoriously problematic speedometers, odometers, and speedometers — but few non-‘02 people know that, and (4.) even on the FAQ, maybe 1 in 1,000 members recognizes an “incorrect” speedometer face — and I’m probably being wildly optimistic!

 

The chances of the eBay seller knowing the speedometer was not original are (a.) slim, and (b.) “Slim” just left town. And he was positing that the odometer had actually turned over once, a relatively rare admission for a car with a 5-digit odometer.

 

As I said in my prior post, if that carpet is original — and I believe it is — this car likely has less than 100K miles on it. Advertising 111K miles was probably a mis-statement that harmed the value, rather than enhanced it.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

Agree on all you said. I was just saying that if a seller pulled auction and updated on becoming aware from someone that would be a positive whereas one that did not would make me question what else they would hide. 

 

Unknowingly misrepresenting milage doesn't say much either way to me for the reasons you articulate.

 

As for admitting the rollover - without amazing documentation no one would believe 12k original miles and 112k is next best thing to sell car (unless you realize that it's not original guage cluster which they unlike did)

Edited by spurcap
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, I am all with the changed gauge cluster. After the bumpers and the pollution/smog/choker stuff went, the faux wood disappeared from Lilli, my 82,000 mile all original, blah, blah, blah.  The black, granular replacement looks so much better to my eyes. The only ones that count really.

 

Anybody remember "Contact Paper?" It's still on the shelves of your local Tru-Value hardware store. That's where BMW got the faux wood for the cluster. I am dead sure.  Could they have made the dash look any cheaper in my eyes? Impossible. 

 

Okay, I know some of you guys like the wood so I will cease and desist.  It always comes down to personal taste.

 

Finally, this car looks awfully original and lovely to me. Hope we find out how much it sells for and the new owner is one of us or joins this merry band.

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bavariaboy said:

Hey, I am all with the changed gauge cluster. After the bumpers and the pollution/smog/choker stuff went, the faux wood disappeared from Lilli, my 82,000 mile all original, blah, blah, blah.  The black, granular replacement looks so much better to my eyes. The only ones that count really.

 

Anybody remember "Contact Paper?" It's still on the shelves of your local Tru-Value hardware store. That's where BMW got the faux wood for the cluster. I am dead sure.  Could they have made the dash look any cheaper in my eyes? Impossible. 

 

Okay, I know some of you guys like the wood so I will cease and desist.  It always comes down to personal taste.

 

Finally, this car looks awfully original and lovely to me. Hope we find out how much it sells for and the new owner is one of us or joins this merry band.

 

Steve

Well the dealer has it listed for 21k, seems a good price.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...