'02 Door Check Bracket, OEM Style - Revision 2

Door check bracket OEM style - Version 2  

sJdNaVeWZuOvioKEvzAZQgg6spjnmGiZjDl2uSfRI1t1mrFNjRuomof0pP0NdCakj3Nhve6IfTVpupsF

A little over a year ago, I wrote about repairing the door check/ stopper bracket repair the easy way. Since then, I’ve kept thinking about how to improve it - This time I thought about trying to make it similar to the OEM style. Our original bracket repair kit is a two piece design and externally mounted. It can be used when you have the factory bracket completely broken off or just the earpiece only. The new version is a one piece design and is internally mounted. You need to have the factory ear completely broken off and left with the two rectangular holes. If the broken piece is still there, you will need to punch it out in order to install the new one piece design. The new one piece design is held by two allen screws that are mounted from the outside. The end result is a cleaner look (compared to our original version) and a strong, functional bracket for the door check to be mounted on. You have the option to leave it alone since it’s zinc plated, however it can be painted to match the body.

Installation is still the same way as our first version - The guide rod is there to hold/align the bracket, so it can be installed into the slots and bolted on. This time around, I’ve also included a clear plastic template that lines up with the slots so that you can drill & mount the bracket in the right location. Once satisfied with the installation, wiggling the rod will cause it to separate from the bracket.

Je2PY8EINEeCXxtbHdP-WWeOziXDPZYYS_kpB0LaTEpz6be5WU8zr4O-Hc-6ELwTk4thk5Ie8-ftaZ3cAS2mIwx3zDrG1sQ4nSe2v4J_qTTcr4khjSjM35Gp

Our sample car had a bracket that has been previously re-welded into place. To mount our new version, we had to cut the welds off and then punch away the old bracket to knock it off the original tack welds. You need to remove the tack welded piece in order to properly install this version of the bracket!

tJsd7Is8hzSNDuIGukWOuYk0mCIvoxkDhoW-4P4z8hE5D99jDwZgWhacENZ8PoNBuyAqz9TkJsjil5S7db8Ci2ox22zjh0Dnyz76JJ7JwTnzihzJ4Q-djkh9

Once you remove the old/broken bracket, you can then use the plastic template that’s provided in the kit and mark where the holes for mounting the bracket will be. From there, use a ¼” size drill bit and make your holes.

14egFN_qFSza7jPHMKWhm1cb3gBduK8fLm0hLrE0BW35-S4v4ddq08LSrzIvUQMA353LRz2rZjwlLr-ugYaR1bl06oiRBIYFbF8FoSAt_X-0A_u40ceW6AJm

Slide the bracket into place and through the slots. To make sure that the retaining bolts don’t back out over time, I suggest using a medium-strength threadlocker to prevent them from backing out. Use a 4mm allen key to thread the bolts in and hand tighten them.

gXyIUuK0SeGPKzNkeLLIEFBF-gqLwcY5n3mmmp50YTer0i9t5I5BmXzQlCpBwTNOeZxhOEdyKjkFMdU2ATCA8HqvYaHTv3bCzSjntN4JjZnf9tjcoPJ3xtXB

This is what the bracket looks like installed and with the door brake in place. Once the bracket is secure, align the door brake between the tabs. I suggest using some anti-seize on the pin to ensure smooth operation; you can then secure the pin using the provided circlip. You’re done! Thank you for reading. If anyone is interested in purchasing this revised set or our original version,  you can go to our website: www.prdesignsf.com.

View full article

• Like 2