Warning: IE Tii reproduction distributor

Just wanted to throw a warning out there. I bought the reproduction Tii distributor from Ireland Engineering a few months ago. So far I have less than 500 miles on my 2002, and it already broke and left me stranded. 

You can see in the picture that the center unit cracked. I reached out to IE via email to see if they could help make right of this, but no response so far. I am trying to figure out if I can put a pertronix unit in as a replacement. 

IMG_20210804_182216955.jpg

I see what appears to be carbon tracking in upper frame where leads disappear, its shorting to ground there. Red wire is rubbing/chafeing against the distributor lobe, most likely why it quit.

Edited by tech71

3 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I see what appears to be carbon tracking in upper frame where leads disappear, is it shorting to ground there maybe? Looks like it may be chaffing against the distributor lobe.

Good spot, I haven't looked at it too closely, I just saw the crack in the center magnet and assumed that was the cause. 

What coil were you using?

The electronic modules are pretty sensitive to primary resistance.

I blew up a genuine Pertronix that way once.  

That said, there have been at least a few posts about this particular item...

t

Looks like the pick up block is rubbing on the magnet ring too and it's crooked, I'm not well versed on the IR distributer but most magnetic ones I've seen the pick up block is equidistance along its whole front. Here's a picture of yours and from Ireland.

IMG_20210804_182216955.jpg

BMW-2002-TI-TII-DISTRIBUTOR-MECHANICAL-A

Edited by Son of Marty

I have never used the IE distributor either, but I don't think you are supposed to be able to see the cam lobes on the center post sticking out above the magnetic ring.  On the Pertronix rings, there is a round hole in the top and I think the IE are the same, unless they have been pushed down too far and the top plastic breaks off.  Is that a thin plastic piece on the center post above the magnetic ring?

Tom

P.S. this is why posting photos is SO helpful.

16 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Is that a thin plastic piece on the center post above the magnetic ring?

Tom

P.S. this is why posting photos is SO helpful.

That’s what I see. 

16 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Looks like the pick up block is rubbing on the magnet ring too and it's crooked, I'm not well versed on the IR distributer but most magnetic ones I've seen the pick up block is equidistance along its whole front. 

It could just be the angle of the photo. I didn't do any adjustment when I bought it. I assumed IE assembled it correctly. 

I should also mention that the wires did not normally touch the cam lobe. I pulled them in to get a good view of the screw. 

Assuming IE doesn't get back to me, I will likely just buy a pertronix unit and install that. Sounds like the mounting points are the same. 

12 minutes ago, Lorin said:

That’s what I see. 

Big clear photos you can zoom in on make it fun to visually comb the engine bay.

Look how thin that little ring of plastic is....

I don't understand why the center post is so greasy.  No grease needed if no points installeded.

Edit out wiring comment, having read previous/simultaneous posting.

The gap recommendation between pick up and magnetic ring is set to .030".  Is the IE one adjustable?

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02