Non-2002 Seat Question

My '70ti-wannabe has non-original seat mount brackets (photo #1) which have replaced the original brackets (photo #1, arrow) to accommodate the current non-'02 seats (photos 2 & 3).  

Before I contact Esty and get some advice about how to cut, trim, and otherwise adapt her fine, fine product to these bastardized brackets, I ask you: 

Are these E30 seats?  I think so. 

Is this particular approach to installing E30 seats one of the many which have been discussed here?

Thanks,

Larry

IMG_3316.jpeg

IMG_3308.jpegIMG_3306.jpeg

Looks like E30 seats, but the tabs where the bolts are don't look like mine. If they fit and work well be happy it is done.

I am still looking for the best way to mount mine.

I had @estymake my carpet with un-cut rocker side parts. Should have probably done the same for the tunnel side to save her labor, but everything is totally hiddenby the seat bolster.

Definitely review the drivers and passenger floor carpet where it fits around the OEM seat bracket, it will be close to your angle location though.

Edited by mgben
clarification

mgben,

Uh oh!  Got my set before finding the bracket issue.  Did not know about the bastardized bracket and suggestion to order an un-notched set.  You nailed it:  It's all about notching and ordering w/o notches.  I told her today I probably can re-notch the set I have and the alterations might not be noticeable.  Whatcha think?

The tabs, bolts, seat mounts, etc. seem to work well.

Thanks for the comment.

Larry

Larry i sent you a message with pictures, i believe that you can make a couple of strategic cuts and maybe a fold and get those carpet sections to work...as you said, most, if not all of that is hidden or won't slap you in the face when you look in the car...the tunnel is what it is, i can't offer any suggestion to you there...but again, that is an area not seen unless you take the seats out

if you can't make it work or live with it let me know and i'll cut 2 new inner rocker sections that you can work with

Edited by esty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2002#3 said:

Are these E30 seats?

Looks like E30 to me

1 hour ago, 2002#3 said:

Is this particular approach to installing E30 seats one of the many which have been discussed here?

Havn't seen many pics of E30 installs and most of the traffic I have read about it seems to center around why you should not do it😉

But I understand, its done.

It looks sturdy enough even with some iffy welds top front, I probably would have gone with box channel instead of angle but that is probably structural overkill.

You can fit Esty's carpet to that, use a sharp razor knife.

I'm curious, do you have a pic of the other side?

Esty,

I received your PM and edited photos.  Got it:  plan, measure, re-plan, re-measure, cut.  Should work swimmingly.  Thank you.

tech71,

Yep, boxed-in would have been better...probably.  However, it was already done.

You asked for the passenger side.  See photos.  #3 and #4 show the problems.

Larry

IMG_3304.jpeg

IMG_3307 2.jpeg

IMG_3312 2.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

i saw your problem in the 1st pics you sent me...i believe if you do like i suggested, next week you will have forgotten all about it and love your new seats and carpet

i'll be your crutch... if you fall, let me know

Edited by esty
  • Thanks 1

The @esty carpet is amazing and will look great once fitted.  

But the welds look good and angle vs box allows for easier hardware installation.

The other solutions I have found via forum search rely on bolts through the floor.. either on the hump or behind or both.  I would weld like your Previous Owner did but I still have my fuel line on the passenger side and don't want to ruin it so bolt-on is how I will deal with it. 

If that red hose is your fuel line I would get with blunt and get the original self healing fuel line, or run cupro-nickel line parallel to the return line outside the car on the drivers side. 

I have had 2 cars in the past 2 months (MG's) have their "new " offshore rubber hose go bad from ethanol. in a 3 year storage. (Try Belmetric if you need quality rubber hose and SS Clamps). 

Getting the seats as close to the tunnel is your goal for improved steering wheel alignment, that and the lever to get into the back seat is very long and close to the B pillar.  

Edited by mgben
clarification

The red looks to be a battery cable from a under seat or trunk mounted battery, the light blue hose is the vapor vent to the engine, that leaves the black line as some sort of fuel replacement line with some split hose fitted at the chafe points. I would recommend replacing it with the oem self sealing type.

Edited by Son of Marty

Friends,

Not to worry.

THE FUEL LINE IS CONTINUOUS.  The 2 zip-tied fabric hose sections are wrapped around the fuel line to prevent chaffing.  A close exam of the fabric hose sections will reveal a longitudinal slit all along the hose.  If I had  used zip ties to connect sections of a fuel line, the image would have gone into The Darwin Section of Friends and Their Mechanical Skills.

I really do appreciate your concern.  It really does look dangerous!  I see that now.

Larry

IMG_3307 3.jpeg

• Like 2