Jump to content

Stiff Shifter


Recommended Posts

RE: 1972 - a z3 short shifter was put in the car shortly before we bought it...it worked great and shifted very easily and no slop...after sitting for years, it can be moved but not easily...it's very stiff

 

before we tear the whole thing apart, which we've never done before, so it will be a project, are there any suggestions, maybe lube at specific points

 

i assume the picture is like what is in the 72...is the Z3 shifter different?

 

shifter.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also check the allen head bolts that hold the shift platform to the tranny case.  If they work loose they will add a lot of (lost) motion to the linkage and can make it feel stiff, or even prevent selecting certain gears (like reverse).  You can access those bolts without dropping the exhaust system, drive shaft, etc.  Just takes patience, U-joints for your socket set and the proper-sized Allen head socket.  

 

mike

 

PS--the linkage you pictured is for the 74-76 trannys.  Roundies originally used a fork & blade arrangement at the shift lever base, with a pin joining fork to blade.  They work well so long as the pin isn't worn, and its bushing and side washers are good and tight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

the linkage you pictured is for the 74-76 trannys.  Roundies originally used a fork & blade arrangement at the shift lever base, with a pin joining fork to blade.  They work well so long as the pin isn't worn, and its bushing and side washers are good and tight.

it'd hard to imagine anything being loose just from sitting, it worked perfectly before it was parked and has not been used or driven in 7 years

 

is this for  72?

 

gear shift 2.png

Edited by esty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

You might as well try putting some oil down inside the ball socket.  Someone may have used white lithium grease and that stuff turns hard sometimes.  Oil might loosen it back up.

 

Tom


I agree with Tom. My second guess would be the lower pivot at the bottom of the shifter. 
 

You should be able to acceptably clean and lube the ball socket from inside the car. Some internal circlip pliers will allow the shifter and bushings to pull up a little bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would lube 6 and 17 in your picture from inside the car pull the shift boot up and release the circlip, then you should be able to pull up the shifter and loosen 6 and 17 they are plastic cups that hold the shifter ball and then grease the shifter ball, and put all back together. I should add no parts need to be taken off the shifter shaft just pushed up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

see this picture, a z3 shifter i found...steve can get the circlip out and then there is a very thin spacer ring...he can't figure out how to get the #7 piece out...is it the ball cup?...it looks solid, no cuts, perfs or notches

 

he cannot lift the shifter up at all...#7 sits on top of the ball

 

Shifter_011.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Esty,

Everything comes out the top into the interior of the car when you pull on the shifter. I’m guessing you guys found the problem if the shifter doesn’t pull right out and is stuck. You could try some penetrating oil around the OD of the shifter bushings. 
 

The split in a 2002 upper shifter bushing is pretty invisible when installed. There is nowhere to grab the bushing which is why the shifter itself is used to remove it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Lorin said:

...

The split in a 2002 upper shifter bushing is pretty invisible when installed. There is nowhere to grab the bushing which is why the shifter itself is used to remove it. 

 

Because the e30/e36/e46(?) shifter cup has a locking tab on either side that has to be pushed in so the cup can be removed, straight up.  Usually use a screw driver.  It's been years since I've seen the 2002 part.

 

I'm talking about part #7...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, irdave said:

 

Because the e30/e36/e46(?) shifter cup has a locking tab on either side that has to be pushed in so the cup can be removed, straight up.  Usually use a screw driver.  It's been years since I've seen the 2002 part.

 

I'm talking about part #7...


Does the late model one piece bushing fit in the 2002 shift platform ? I am not familiar with that possibility . 
 

I’m the opposite of you, I converted all my E30s to 2002 shifter bushings. 
 

 

 

..

Edited by Lorin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lorin said:


Does the late model one piece bushing fit in the 2002 shift platform ? I am not familiar with that possibility . 
 

I’m the opposite of you, I converted all my E30s to 2002 shifter bushings. 
 

 

 

..

 

I have no idea?  I didn't realize until a little while ago that the z3 shift lever would fit the 2002 platform.

 

My entire car is e30 except for the body, so, I don't know.  :)  I just wanted to state that if yanking doesn't work, there might be some tabs on the sides.  :)

 

Why would you convert the e30 to the 2002 bits?  Had them on hand and they happen to fit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...