• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper motor issues

pd_55

I've got extremely slow wipers and I believe that it's probably the motor. I don't use the wipers as I don't take it out in the rain, but when I accidentally hit the stalk and turn them on, it's pretty annoying. And inevitably, it happens probably once a drive. So I want to replace the motor, but can't find the proper replacement for the motor. I even looked for E21 motors, even though I'm not sure it's a drop in fit, but nothing. Has anyone had any luck sourcing new or refurbished wiper motors for the 2002? I have a 5 pin round connector. And I know I could just run it without the motor, but I want to keep all things functioning, just in case. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 2002 = slow-ass wipers

They weren’t the fastest in the ‘70’s, and they’ve gotten slower each decade!

Some have said that old grease in the wiper motor’s gearbox is partly to blame.  Although I’ve greased and/or replaced the joints in the wiper linkage on my ‘76, I’ve never opened the wiper motor’s gearbox — although I’ve thought about it. I do find that the wipers speed up considerably after they’ve been operating for a while.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Check your ground connections

Some models have the ground wire anchored on the engine bay side of the trough with a sheet metal screw.  Use a Dremel to remove enough paint at the hole so that the wire's eyelet makes good contact.  Put some dielectric grease on the bare metal for long term protection.

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

I've opened a few motor boxes to replace the gease. It gets pretty solid. However, I d be looking at the spindles that hold the wiper arms.  Try releasing teh motor end and wiggle them back and forth. Any tightness?

Youu have to wrestle to whole assembly out, then release the spindles. On my NK, they were corroded, so I used fine emery cloth to clean them and the bores. Add some white lith grease.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hans said:

I've opened a few motor boxes to replace the gease. It gets pretty solid. However, I d be looking at the spindles that hold the wiper arms.  Try releasing teh motor end and wiggle them back and forth. Any tightness?

Youu have to wrestle to whole assembly out, then release the spindles. On my NK, they were corroded, so I used fine emery cloth to clean them and the bores. Add some white lith grease.

Hmmm… and I replaced the spindles on my ‘76.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

When was the last time you lubed the linkage it's self? Lots of joints need lube as well as the spindles I've drilled a small hole just the size of the spray straw just off center to get some oil onto the spindle bearing. I would do this before removing the motor.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I had opened the before to check and cleaned the old grease out for new. The linkage moves smoothly without the motor but lubed a little for good measure. All of the grounds I could see look solid, but I hadn’t gone under the dash to check those yet. Not sure. But if I can’t find a replacement motor, maybe I need to deal with slow wipers.

After you have worked thru all of the above good advice one thing to check if the length of the blades as compared to OE. Longer blades do fit, they also do provide a larger viewing area but they do offer more resistance, thus slower in some instances, like on a dry windshield.

2 hours ago, pd_55 said:

So is the consensus that there are no drop in replacement motors available, if one were inclined to buy a new one? 

I am not aware of any, however, a decent electric motor shop could repair yours.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris