15" Wilwood front BBK

Going to do a 4 corner brake upgrade and going with the Wilwood BBK set up for 15" wheels for the front. My question is about clearance and if anyone has any knowledge or experience with the kit and certain wheels. I currently have the Rota RB (Panasport clones) in 15x7. Not sure of the offset, but I believe around ET24 or 25? It was the spec for the 2002. Does anyone know if the caliper will clear the Rota RB wheel? Ireland doesn't note anything about it being an issue with certain wheels, but want to confirm beforehand. Thanks all.

Those wheels will clear the brakes. Barely.

That said, I would recommend not getting the 15in brake kit.  Gross overkill unless you putting down a lot of hp and only use it on track.  The wheel bearings on a 2002 wobble under load.  This causes overly large rotors to knock back the brake pads in the calipers.  After a hard turn, the brake pedal will require a pump to push the pads back on the rotors before you can brake.  Not good.

I have been running this kit on my track car for 10 years.  I would not put it on a 2002 again.

Also, don't get them wildwood CPB rear calipers. They suck.  They are not rebuildable, they are a REALLY tight fit with 15's and they use the exact same size brake pads as the VW rear caliper option.  Get the VW version.

• Like 2

Interesting. I wasn’t thinking it would be detrimental. I knew it’s more than what I would typically need, but didn’t think it could cause issue. For the rears, I’m just going with the larger drum set up. Will have to think about the 15” brake kit now. Do you know how much larger the 15” version of the Wilwood rotor is than their smaller one?

I did the 320i rear brake drum upgrade. Pretty cheap if you can find a backing plate somewhere. I bought the rest of the bits from rock auto.  More than enough (almost too much) for the rear. Now have to find balance in the front. I had to replace the front calipers recently and paid a pretty penny, so I am not sure if I wish to upgrade to discs just yet. Next plan is to swap to Porterfield R4S pads If that doesn't add some balance, I will add a bias valve. 

So unless you are tracking and you need faster cool down and less fading,  then go with discs. But otherwise, our cars are not heavy monsters with massive horsepower that need monster brakes...

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Yes good with the 250mm upgraded drums for the rear and have those in hand. Still deciding on the front disc size.

Sounds like there is some unnecessary bearing wear with the 15” BBK, but is it real or negligible? It isn’t a daily so will probably see a 2,000 miles or less a year. I don’t mind if it’s a little overkill, but does the bad outweigh the good? Essentially they are the same cost to do either size. Thanks.

6 hours ago, pd_55 said:

Yes good with the 250mm upgraded drums for the rear and have those in hand. Still deciding on the front disc size.

Sounds like there is some unnecessary bearing wear with the 15” BBK, but is it real or negligible? It isn’t a daily so will probably see a 2,000 miles or less a year. I don’t mind if it’s a little overkill, but does the bad outweigh the good? Essentially they are the same cost to do either size. Thanks.

It is not unnecessary bearing wear.  And it is real.  By design, 02 wheel bearings have some play in them.  That play causes the rotor to wobble in a fixed caliper.  That wobble pushes the brake pads back into the calipers. Result is soft brake pedal until pads contact rotors again.  Modern cars with larger  sealed bearings and floating calipers do not have this play and don't have this issue using larger rotors.  

For 02's just stick with stockish sized rotors like the smaller IE wilwood kit.  Those are also overkill on an 02 BTW.

Unless you are just trying to win the local C&C brake bragging rights competition.....

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 3

Knockback, yeah-

the road- going Volvo/528 calipers have more self- retraction built into them,

but also more resistance to knockback.  Entertainingly, it's just a few thou of taper

built into the seal retention channel, but the effect is VERY significant.

Wilwoodies are for raceycars, and as such, are designed for a tighter bearing package.

I find that perfectly set- up bearings will knock the pads back a little bit when the car's cold.

After about 6-8 laps, that effect goes way down, to the point where it's not really a big deal.

The bearings tighten.

I still do a tap check at tracks where the front straight can hurt you in the end.

Noone wants to go into the Spokanistani weeds at full trotsky.

t

• Like 2

@TobyB Do you know what bearings come with the IE Wilwood 15” kit? Are they stock bearings or purpose designed for the kit? They will be going on GC coilovers built off a base 2002 strut with the smaller spindle. I don’t mind some mild brake modulating, my main concerns are with premature/unnecessary wear and wheel clearance also.

52 minutes ago, pd_55 said:

@TobyB Do you know what bearings come with the IE Wilwood 15” kit? Are they stock bearings or purpose designed for the kit? They will be going on GC coilovers built off a base 2002 strut with the smaller spindle. I don’t mind some mild brake modulating, my main concerns are with premature/unnecessary wear and wheel clearance also.

The bearings that come in the Wilwood kit are stock 320i. I don’t recall whether that is the same as the 2002 bearings, but regardless, they aren’t purpose made for the kit. The hubs in the kit are just a reproduction of the 320i hubs.

incidentally, I’d recommend OEM hubs over the ones that Wilwood includes. I had significant runout in one of mine that caused a bad pad rub. Swapping to OEM hubs fixed it.

On 8/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, pd_55 said:

Stock bearings.  There are no bearings available for the 2002 that prevent the knockback issue.  GC struts make no difference.

For reference, I run custom designed GC struts based on the bigger tii spindles and bearings..... And pressure check valves and springs behind all the pistons and floating rotors... Still get knock back.

Wilwood calipers not designed for old school adjustable bearings like 02's have.   The bigger the rotor, the worse the problem.

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, pd_55 said:

I think Marshal is trying to get across is that it's not really modulation that you'll have to deal with, it's more like a double action / single action trigger, every time after you go straight.  So a long push first, then maybe not so long, then maybe short or long, depending on the length of the straight and when you last applied the brakes.  Might be kinda' sucky to deal with when you're looking for consistency.

I went FULL retard on brakes, and probably went too far.  Don't be a retard like me; listen to these guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2