Early and late model rear seat belts

So I am looking at buying a pair of rear seat belts for my 1968 1600-2 as the state I live in, New York, requires me to have them in the car. I found a pair of Facebook but I don’t know if they are correct for my model year. Photos of said seat belts are shown. Photos are not mine but are the sellers. My goal is to have an as close to original car as I can when it is finished and put on the road 

ED48EB86-E0C4-4FA9-8767-612691596306.jpeg

6DBB4168-C86B-4CD9-BADE-67B56892CEF0.jpeg

82E2CBF8-F65B-4FD6-B809-4BD80005C9C4.jpeg

5A05B27B-5535-4D21-B768-4DB424FA5148.jpeg

Edited by Captain_Keram
Spelling errors

Retracting rear belts, such as these Repa’s, did not appear until very late in 1971, in anticipation of a January 1, 1972 deadline for retracting seat belts, front and rear. Before that time, the belts, front and rear, were what we refer to as “spaghetti belts” — no retractors and all over the place!

Klippan belts were non-retracting seat belts. The Klippan belts used from 1968 through very late 1969 — the “truest” spaghetti belts, before the Klippan single drivetrain-tunnel hard-loop provided a little relief from the original spaghetti belts — are what you seek. The Klippan belts with the single drivetrain-tunnel hard-loop were employed from very late 1969 through very late 1971. Autoflugs were retracting belts used from very late 1971 until sometime in the 1973 model year. And Repa’s replaced Autoflugs at that time and were the retracting belts used through the end of ‘02 production.

Those retractors in your photo, of course, look totally worthless, with badly-corroded buckles and, I’m guessing, deteriorated webbing. There likely were manufacturing dates originally on those two badly-abused labels.

Regards,

Steve

Contact Blue devil on this board he's the seat belt guy and can provide the details of what your looking for and may be able to provide new or refabed belts for your car. It's my belief that any safety gear you put in your car should be able to preform to spec.  

• Like 1

The OEM rear belts in my '69 are plain ole garden-variety lap belts; don't remember the brand (and they're not nearby to check) but are the same brand as Steve's previously mentioned "spaghetti belts" used in the front--probably chosen by BMW as revenge for Allied bombing of their factory during WW II (along with the early emissions stuff).  

I'm sure someone on the Board has replaced theirs with retractables...so finding a set should be easy.

mike

PS--is NY requiring retro-fitting seat belts to vintage cars?  I can just see a Curved Dash Oldsmobile (vintage 1903) with inertia reels...

17 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

PS--is NY requiring retro-fitting seat belts to vintage cars?

I believe, Mike, that the 1968 model year was the demarcation line, when all U.S.-sold cars had to have seat belts… or was that just front seat belts? So I’m guessing that this could be a “1968-and-newer” issue. It’s hard to imagine a state inspector, however, forcing one to show rear seat belts in order to pass inspection!

Best regards,

Steve

8 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Captain…

Does your car show clear evidence that rear seat belts were previously installed? If so, are the belts missing now, or laying under the rear seat cushion?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

When I got the car it didn’t have the rear belts with it I am also unable to tell if it ever did have the rear belts. 

Thanks, Captain. That’s helpful.

So, yes, you need rear seat belts, technically. I’d say, however — and I’ve been a New York City resident for a total of 24 years — the chances of a state inspection station checking your car for rear seat belts is probably 1 in 50. Or maybe 1 in 1,000!

So I’d keep looking for belts, if I were you, but I wouldn’t hold off on a state inspection on account of missing rear belts. What happened to those originally in your back seat?

Regards,

Steve

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Conserv said:

Captain…

Does your car show clear evidence that rear seat belts were previously installed? If so, are the belts missing now, or laying under the rear seat cushion?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

so I took photos of the areas in which my rear seat belts would have been mounted. I can’t totally tell if seat belts had been mounted originally or not. Here are some photos of the front drivers seat belt. Both the drivers and passenger seat belts are in the same condition and missing the tags on them.  AE6D8B54-454F-40EF-9E01-FB6FE9B55BAA.jpeg

70510265-80A7-486E-AB04-05E08173BF2B.jpeg

726B8018-74A1-431D-92D3-5919150CE2D6.jpeg

14DF9216-B851-41E4-B155-438B00ACDA58.jpeg

9D7D46D5-5742-4898-8EB4-F9461950E201.jpeg

8ED79AE3-EFD8-47B0-A649-807DE635E064.jpeg

Edited by Captain_Keram

40 minutes ago, Captain_Keram said:

Hi Steve,

so I took photos of the areas in which my rear seat belts would have been mounted. I can’t totally tell if seat belts had been mounted originally or not. Here are some photos of the front drivers seat belt. Both the drivers and passenger seat belts are in the same condition and missing the tags on them.  AE6D8B54-454F-40EF-9E01-FB6FE9B55BAA.jpeg

70510265-80A7-486E-AB04-05E08173BF2B.jpeg

726B8018-74A1-431D-92D3-5919150CE2D6.jpeg

14DF9216-B851-41E4-B155-438B00ACDA58.jpeg

9D7D46D5-5742-4898-8EB4-F9461950E201.jpeg

8ED79AE3-EFD8-47B0-A649-807DE635E064.jpeg

Interesting, Captain: if those rear seat mounting holes ever held seat belt bolts, it was a long time ago! The black stuff painted on irregularly looks like some post-factory undercoating. I’d say that the chances of someone simply removing rear seat belts — in contrast to letting them rest and gather filth under the rear seat — seems somewhat slim. But perhaps there is a relationship between the application of the black undercoating and removal of seat belts. As you say, it’s hard to draw any conclusions, but adding rear seat belts should be as easy as cleaning up the threads in the four mounting brackets.

The front seat belts look original, although the female buckles appear to have been painted black. I probably wouldn’t trust that 50-year-old webbing. And the hardware needs to be cleaned up or re-plated.

Regards,

Steve

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Interesting, Captain: if those rear seat mounting holes ever held seat belt bolts, it was a long time ago! The black stuff painted on irregularly looks like some post-factory undercoating. I’d say that the chances of someone simply removing rear seat belts — in contrast to letting them rest and gather filth under the rear seat — seems somewhat slim. But perhaps there is a relationship between the application of the black undercoating and removal of seat belts. As you say, it’s hard to draw any conclusions, but adding rear seat belts should be as easy as cleaning up the threads in the four mounting brackets.

The front seat belts look original, although the female buckles appear to have been painted black. I probably wouldn’t trust that 50-year-old webbing. And the hardware needs to be cleaned up or re-plated.

Regards,

Steve

Sorry I guess I didn’t mention the black stuff is POR15 which I applied to protect the car from more rusting

On 8/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, HBChris said:

If you use the retractables which I did in my 69, you will need to trim the lower rear corners of the lower seat frame to provide clearance but I recommend the retractable version for ease of use and safety.

Chris,

Never having examined a pair of (a.) pre-retractor and (b.) retractor rear seat frames side by side, I don’t know how much the retractor seat frame was “notched/altered” from the earlier frame, only that the outside corners were conceptually “clipped.” By “trim”, did you have to simply cut off the outside rear corners of the seat cushion’s outside frame?

Did you also upgrade your ‘69’s front seat belts to retractors?

Best regards,

Steve