Lots and lots of pop rivets...

If that's your rocker panel trim, not only was it not factory installed with pop rivets, that's not even the factory trim piece.  No telling what it's from, but definitely not from BMW.  It looks aluminum, and the OEM part is stainless steel, held in place with hidden clips.

You need to start all over again...

mike

• Like 1

I'm painting the car, so needed to remove it anyway.  Filling all the lower trim holes and reopening the beltline trim holes.  Also had to cut out a piece where the PO (or before) mounted many side mirrors.  I'm going to attempt to weld in a patch tonight.

IMG_0365.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shiparino said:

I'm painting the car, so needed to remove it anyway.  Filling all the lower trim holes and reopening the beltline trim holes.  Also had to cut out a piece where the PO (or before) mounted many side mirrors.  I'm going to attempt to weld in a patch tonight.

IMG_0365.jpg

Safety flops (thongs, flip-flops) while using the grinder.  Nice. 

• Haha 3

Ordered a new set of rocker trim from MVP.  The Home Depot extruded aluminum trick...  I would have never thought of that.  

Reminds me of the first 02 I bought in 1983.  69 roundie, with what I thought were stock steel wheels, just without center caps.  Went down the the local BMW dealer, bought a set of center caps, walked out to the car in the parking lot and scratched my head when they didn't fit.  Yeah, it seems BMW center caps don't fit on VW Rabbit wheels.  My attention to details have not improved.

• Haha 1