Hard to find parts for '76 2002

Hi All, 

First post, but I've been on here for well over a year.  I bought a '76 2002 last Sept.  Since that time, I've had a learning curve on what it means to own these cars! Replacing several parts, tweaking the Weber carb, various repairs, etc, etc.  It runs great and is a joy to drive, but as you all know, things seem to pop up continually that need attention. 

The current focus is on shoring up brakes and some suspension components and I'm having a hard time finding the following parts:

• Brake Proportioning Valve (this is only present on 1976 models I believe)
  • Lower control arms (front)
  • Sway bar and links

Any help or advice here is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The brake proportioning valve on the 76 is unnecessary i believe and i don't think its a proportioning valve but a pressure sensor valve that measures brake pressure difference between front and rear and sets of a warning light if there is a difference. My 76 had the valve remove years ago before i got the car. 

Control arms have been out of stock for a couple years but do pop up every now and then for $200 - $300. WN has them now in stock for around $200 each.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/vorderachse/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/katalogbild-31-02.html

Plenty of sway bar manufacturers. Ireland and ST are the most common.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, esty said:

have you googled bmw 2002 (the part you need)....

i did and found all your parts

I did spend quite a bit of time online and offline with no success before posting here.  If you have the links, please send them along!

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

The brake proportioning valve on the 76 is unnecessary i believe and i don't think its a proportioning valve but a pressure sensor valve that measures brake pressure difference between front and rear and sets of a warning light if there is a difference. My 76 had the valve remove years ago before i got the car. 

Control arms have been out of stock for a couple years but do pop up every now and then for $200 - $300. WN has them now in stock for around $200 each.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/vorderachse/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/katalogbild-31-02.html

Plenty of sway bar manufacturers. Ireland and ST are the most common.

Thanks, that’s interesting about the valve.  I have the car with my local mechanic and he referred to it as the proportioning valve, but perhaps that’s why I wasn’t seeing the part pop up. If I don’t need it, even better. Does not seem critical based on your description. 

Thanks for the additional info, much appreciated.

Well I'm confused, the control arms and sway bar parts if stock are the same for all 02's except the early arms were slightly different  but are replaced by the current ones. to find a good parts drawings and what fits what go to realoem.com look under the classic section to find the 2002. The brake valve was a federal requirement for duel circuit brakes to tell you one side has failed, but the fact your on this board you would be the kinda guy or gal who would notice if your brake all of a sudden you'd find out why toot sweet.

Edited by Son of Marty

Sway bar bushings, among many other venders including auto zone. I should add most here including the soft ride group recommend poly bushings for the sway bars it'll help tighten up your turns with no trade off on the ride.

BMW-2002-E21-E3-E9-URETHANE-SWAY-BAR-END

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If you want a stock diameter sway bar, PM me.  I have one that's yours for the postage.  You get to repaint it and provide the end links.  But the price is right!

And if you're referring to that metal box with brake lines running into it near the M/C, that's not a proportioning valve.  As Stevenc22 said, that's a pressure differential sensor (on '76 cars only) that illuminates your brake warning light on the dash if the pressure on one side of the dual circuit is different from the other, which would indicate a leak.

mike

I too still have my old stock '75 anti sway bars for postage or pickup. They were replaced w/ Ireland Engineering upgraded bars a few years ago. Like Mike's bars, they need to be cleaned and painted for that newish look.

Eric

On 8/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, tolypso said:
  • Brake Proportioning Valve (this is only present on 1976 models I believe)
  • Lower control arms (front)
  • Sway bar and links

Brake valve - unnecessary as noted above

lower Arms Front - Ireland Engineering has year in stock as I’ve actually seen in person

Sway Bar and Links - For me the Ireland Bars we’re the easiest to install other brands can be more challenging